Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yellow Paint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by 303carbine 303carbine wrote:

My No1MKIII  Lithgow rifle had the yellow paint on the bayo lug and some on the wood when I bought it. According to Skennerton the paint was applied to cadet  rifles. I took some furniture stripper and removed it and now it looks like it should. Its kind of  like removing  bird crap from the statue of Liberty.

we were discussin this subject a little while back.(I had some on the stock of my martini Henry) I have an original Enfield bayo - for my 1858 Enfield - it has White paint across the lock ring(sticks like sh** to a blanket) was unsuccessful in trying to remove it - then realized I'm better off leaving it on.
I think the white paint is for the same reason -different era/parts.
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 9:06am
I'm leaving mine with the yellow paint on the muzzle. every one that see's it always asks why the paint? I just smile and say "ya dont know nothing about Enfields buddy?" wich at the time i dont let on to- that im a novice at them myself, ha what they dont know wont hurt them. I was into Mausers thats what I have chased for so many years. Mausers and Russian nagants.
When i was 16 years old i shot an Enfield Jungel carbine. A freind of mine and my cousin had been given one by his uncle. we went out and shot it, I was scared to shoot it. I thought it would kick. but I finaly I shot it and begged to shoot it again.
they said no. you waited to long, Im shooting the rest of the bullets my buddy said.
so that was it.I got hooked on mausers and never looked back. untill i made an order with Ammostore.com and they had this Enfield so i figured I should order one since i already have Tukish, Yugo's, Bosnians,Spanish Mausers. and some Russian rifles as well.
But this first Enfield, it did something for me that no other rifle has done.(the yellow paint one) it is a lot of weapon to behold in your hands. it feels good,looks good, and has a lot of history along with it. Unfortunately it is a rifle that not too many people talk about these days, in my area at least.  But that is about to change. they may not talk about it but they will definitely HEAR ONE NOW!
Ya see Im the one that makes the noise in this area. My naighbors know when im home! 
         &nbs p;    The "White Rhino"   
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 10:22am
No disrespect intended my good friend, but the reason the Americans don't recognize the Enfield goes back quite a ways. It's the " Not Invented Here" mantra the U.S. Gov't took that damn near cost us the war!!!(WWII)
If you read the hunting/fishing mags (all published stateside)they REALLY down play the Enfield rifles -if they list them at all. America's calibre is 30.06. In the first war - once our Yank friends got there- theres MANY accounts of the "doughboys" ditchin thier Springfields for the Enfield, when given the opportunity.
Getting back to the "mantra" - we BEGGED the U.S. gov't to help us build MOSQUITOS - they wouldn't.British design-so they built the Lightning instead...What a piece of crap! Wasn't till the later models that they became a decent platform. We Begged the yanks to help us with OUR version of the Sherman, nothin doin. etc etc etc I could go on & on. If you want more info I can provide it off forum.
I'm so glad that a following of knowledgeble people statside is beginning to take hold.
Good on ya,Reb. & spread the word!!
Hoadie
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 10:57am
Hey Hoadie,
yea i know all about that 30.06 being over rated yes it is a good round kill a man out and beyond 500 yrds. as my Dad told me. He knows and he has. but as for hunting in my area you really dont need that much power. I have never hunted with the .303
YET! but this comeing season one of the 2 Enfeilds will be putting some Venison in my freezer.
Just by looking at the round it look's like it could do the job.and from what i have read of Dave's exploits I beleive a White tail stands no chance. or any other  game in the U.S. for that matter.
And for the not invented hear fear,yes you hit the nail on the head! many of my naighbors hear think 30.06 and think when you reply that you are shooting .308 that man thats big. and the 30.06 has more powder behind it.  it is nothing more than ignorance of the round that you inherit. thus i give you the 30.06   no one will admit that they are over powerd with the round they use hear. if they do they usually go under powerd.
Most of the shots taken hear in my area are less than 150yds .  A patatoe gun can shoot that far. i shoot Beer cans at 100yds for fun. Tell ya the truth the last deer i killed was no more than 75 to 80 yrds away. last day of this past season( 4 point buck)
Erlyer that season a doe last day for doe. she was moveing away from me at about 100 to 125yrds. through light to medium cover. droped here in her tracks.
These two deer are the main reason i have chosen to use the/one of/ Enfields next season. ya see my buddy says its because of the scope. so i told him wile holding the Enfield with the yellow paint that this is what i will hunt with next year, so he will have a break. I will still out hunt him! so i will have to keep you posted on this coming season, you might have to remind me though.
         & ; ;nbs p;        & ;nbs p;&nbs p;       & ;nbs p; &nbs p;      & ;nbs p;  &nbs p;     & ;nbs p;   &nbs p;    & ;nbs p;    &nbs p;   & ;nbs p;     &nbs p;                       The "White Rhino"

Edited by White Rhino - May 28 2006 at 12:52pm
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 6:17pm
You assume I wear knickers hoadie!! I can tell you though on my 1st jump I had a brown smoke trail coming out the top of my jump smock. Later found out it was adrenaline.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

ā€œIf electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 9:39am
I had the same problem the first timeI did a Night HALO, Tony (it was a case of I don't get paid enough for this) My 1st jump I was just too Pumped to think of what was happening !

Rhino You have discovered the secret that takes many hunters years to work out ! Why the hell should you carry a light cannon when your shots are at realistic ranges ! The .303 ,has recived a lot of bad press over the years from.People whom I suspect are in the pockets of the big arms manufactures ! The simple fact of the matter is that out around the 200yrd mark there aint nothing that walks crawls or swims on this planet that the .303 aint going to put down for the keep!  Once again it comes down to bullet placement  & bullet choice .Under  100yrds  I'd be looking at bullets with a light jacket to get good expanstion ! But every Water Buff I ever shot was around the 100yrd mark or less ! This was with solids admitidly  but I only ever had a hand full that caused me grief !

Dave
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 12:14pm
Right on, Davie! Rhino - understand..there isn't an animal on our continent, that the .303 won't put away, handily. You bein in LA wouldn't have the background to the .303. I have many hunting pards that have bought into the rubbish about the 30.06.So they figger they GOTTA have it. Well, @ the end of the day - the deer aint any deader! Not only that, 30.06 seems to "whack" the deer a little too hard - leaves more damage than I'd like.A Chef friend of mine(from Britian) is dumping his Remington 30.06 just for that reason! He's going back to his old .303.
I have a Parker Hale sport I like to use.Man, that beauty has brought me ALOT of deer(& Partridge,& Rabbits).
You'll no doubt become known in your neck of the woods, real fast. Personally - I like 150 gr loads.Don't drop much & your right - most deer are on the fly under 125 yds.
So shoot away, Boyo! Ya got nothin to be emarassed about!
Hoadie
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 7:20pm

Interesting you lads talking about the size of your weapons.  

I was pumped up too Dave problem was day before a lad got killed, that got me to thinking what the **** am I doing here?

Over here the minimum calibre you can use for Deer hunting is 243/ 6mm. Most estates with stalking for hire have a 243 for the client to use. The rules laid down by the government are 100 grain expanding ammunition with a minimum muzzle velocity of 2450fps and a minimum muzzle energy of 1750 fps. That covers the red deer stalking in scotland. Usual calibres for stalking over here are 243, 270, 308 and 7mm. Most prefer the 243 and 270. For roe deer the minimum is 50 grain expanding ammo with similar muzzle velocity it cuts down on meat spoilage. Anyone interested in reading about stalking over here have a read Highland Deer Stalking by David Hudson published by crowood press. Your local library may be able to get hold of a copy for you. I use a 243 (can't afford the stalking though) but one day when the kids have finally moved on to regular jobs instead of working part time in the cotton mills, sweeping chimneys and using dad as a cash machine ( no comments as to where they stick the cash card hoadie/Hurcomb!!!) I'm going to let them treat me to a weeks stalking in scotland. For the time being though foxes shot with a 70 grain hollow point or a 105 grain A max seem to just give up the ghost. The A max makes a hell of a mess 6mm entry hole and a hole the size of a dinner plate on exit

Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 7:34pm
 but one day when the kids have finally moved on to regular jobs instead of working part time in the cotton mills, sweeping chimneys and using dad as a cash machine ( no comments as to where they stick the cash card hoadie/Hurcomb!!!)

As if I'd make a comment on something that is so close to my heart ! As the despensing of cash to my Kids or anyone elses (Ya never mention that part of Parent hood in ya Book did ya Dr  Bloody Spock )

As for sending Children out to work in Mills or up Chimneys ??? If the Good Lord had'nt ment them to be Chimney Sweeps he would'nt of made em so small would he ????????

Dave
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 7:55pm
One question Dave where do you shove the poles to get the buggers up the chimney??
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 9:56pm
I prefer to stuff 'em down from the top, & yank 'em out the bottom-kinda like a pull through!
Tony - To suggest I'D make a comment bout your anatomy vs a cash machine, is absurd! The cheek! Everone knows ATM's have SLOTS, not exhaust pipes!!
Hoadie
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 6:43am
Yea, down hear people seam to have 30,06 imbeded in there brain and they think that  is the only round you can harvest a Deer with,I know of about five people
that hunt with 30,06 right off hand that is. More if i sat here and thought for awhile
and most of them would laugh at the mere mention of shooting more than 100 to150
yards, hell some of my naighbors think a .22 rim fire can only shoot 50 to 60 yards
at the most. so then when you mention any other caliber they laugh at that and say
ya need a 03,06 son ya can't kill a deer with nothing else. so you see you have to prove a point down here, so this comeing deer season I will. I used my 7mm Rem. Mag. last year and the times I went Pig hunting. Last year 2 deer one doe and one Buck. I shot 2 times last season and put two deer in the freezer. On the pig hunts shot 3 times put 3 pigs in the freezer. I have even taken a deer with my 9mm pistole
Head shot right behind the ear there is one hell of a story behind that shot.
Well Guys I hate to stop right now but the UPS driver is at my door with my 3 fer deal on the Enfields so i got to go see how theyn are.
         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;    The "White Rhino"
"White Rhino"

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

One question Dave where do you shove the poles to get the buggers up the chimney??

You ever seen a cattle prod ????? it's a stick ,oh about a yard long with a electrode on one end & gives off about 24 volts at the squeeze of a button ! They go up a Chimny faster than a Ferret down a Rabbit hole with only one zap
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 9:11am
Hmmm-I bin doin it all wrong! I work up quite a sweat stuffin 'em down the chimney - like I was stuffin a muzzle loader! Then makin a hellofa mess draggin .em out the bottom.
Maybe I need somethin furrier.
Hey Dave - how'd you & your beard like a trip to Canada this Sept?
Hoadie
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 9:50am
So what Yall are saying, is i should'nt of bought that flexible stick and the brush that goes on the end??????
I dont think my Kidds will fit into the flue pipe of my wood burning stove? it's only 7 inches in diameter.
So i looked at the Enfields they are not that bad. there is one that has a bad chunk
missing at the upper side of the butt where the butt plate comes over the top. the other one is missing a small peice missing for a good while in same place but not as bad or big,the other one, I cant seam to find any cracks on it. they need cleaning, some cosmolene/grease a little rust on the Mags. and furniture hardware, nothing a good cleaning wouldn't take care of.
I will get my wife to take some pictures tomorrow when the light is good and the batteries are charged.
         &nbs p;         &nbs p;     The "White Rhino"

"White Rhino"

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 12:51pm
Hey- while your at it, get her to clean 'em up-too! What a woman!!! Any more where ya found her ?
Hoadie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic