Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1942 Enfield Savage/Stevens India ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantomphixxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1942 Enfield Savage/Stevens India ???
    Posted: August 03 2009 at 3:09am
New to the Enfield rifles:

I recently purchased a 1942  No.4 MK I  s/n 25XX all numbers match, bolt, stock, socket and magazine. The breech has a crown over CP proof. The small parts (bands, sight and magazine) are marked with the square S or box S. The stock has a large F R on side and near the socket on the bottom is stamped L.S. 1950 is stamped near the socket on side of stock.

The flat (LH) side of receiver has no marking other than No. 4 MK I and what appears to be a punch mark hardness test? Behind the front sight on the metal forend cap is a J B stamped.

I know that during lend lease the U.S. Prop was marked along with the bursting bomb stamp. This rifle has neither? The socket band has the date and S/N and what appears to be a partial "B". The right side of the socket band has no marks but still has the same tooling marks and finish as the left side. It does not appear to be "scrubbed?" No disc in stock and dozens of cartouches including the broad arrow.

I usually can make an edumecated guess but this one has me scratching my head? Does the small parts marked with the Square S and the numbers matching make this a possible Savage reworked in India? Thanks 
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 4:29am
Rifles were only stamped with the Lend Lease during WWII. I know of several rifles where they took Savage receivers that were left from the war as surplus parts and were made if to rifles at one of the various Common Worth armories.
phantomphixxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantomphixxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 4:50am
During the cash & carry years when International Law didn't require the ruse of lend lease did the rifles have the Bursting Bomb proof? My receiver isn't marked? Could this be a Savage as all the small parts are stamped along with the magazine (F) factory (R) Repaired in India? All the numbers match. India used the F R instead of the F T R. Wasn't India the only ones to serialize the magazine to the rifle?
Enfield trader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enfield trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 10:10am
There were early Savage No4's that had the bolt release behind the charger bridge then they were made with the bolt head release in the rail by the chamber.

So there were Savage No4 MK1 and No4 MK1* -- Savage rifles have a C in the serial number. Also usually Savage was arked in front o the No4 MKI or No4 MKI* If yours does not have a C in the serial number then I would say not a Savage.

Magazines were not just serialized in India.

Can you post some pics?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 2:21am
i was going to request photos as well , the points made are critical to review ,

- savage made both some early mkI with bolt release and these may not be property marked , the first use of the mark would have been circa 1941 and in serial range 4Cxxxx , so the four digits you give might be correct , but the prefix is crucial and many later mkI* without the bolt release this occured circa 1942 in serial range 13Cxxxx so again the prefix is crucial to your question ,

- that FR could indeed be an indian refurb marking , the paretial "B" on the wrist socket conjurs up a couple possibilities depending on its location relative to the serial number ,

-the disc had been dispenced with at this point and the markings reduced to codes for manufacturers and subcontractors , the stock markings sound indian ,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantomphixxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 4:51am
Thanks. I'll get a few pics and post them. The seiral number is a straight number with no prefix. Will post cartouches and other stamps. Thanks again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantomphixxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 7:10am
Here are the pics. If anything else is needed/ Just ask.

Enfield trader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enfield trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 8:18am
Well it is not a Savage but it does have some Savage parts and a Longbranch bolt head. I can not tell te mfg from the markings
jona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2009 at 1:24am
The serial number on the receiver ring was assigned to Shirley.  Your rifle is apparently an early BSA that has been rebuilt a time or two with whatever parts were at hand.  Very typical.
FR also means Field Repair.
jona

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantomphixxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 6:23am
Thanks everyone. The rifle has a perfect bore and held a 2" group @ 100m. I was shooting 1943 WRA ammo. I always shot and collected the 06 and 7.62 NATO. I think I may become a fan of these old warhorses.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic