Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ENFIELD No 4 MARK I

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 1:56am
Originally posted by Beerhunter Beerhunter wrote:

Originally posted by Lithgow Lithgow wrote:

BLR may be "beyond local repair" that means it cannot be repaired at unit level and needs to go to a base workshop to be repaired.

That is exactly what BLR on the stock means.  It should be removed after repair which may mean that the rifle was not fixed but, rather, "disposed of".  (At school, in the early 1960s, BLR was a death sentence for any of our no.4s so marked by REME.)

However the Birmingham proof suggests that it was repaired later,  outside of the military as any major fault would not pass proof.

I stand corrected & I'll edit the references.Embarrassed
I've been torn between the 2 possible versions for a long while, some say Birmingham, some say British, with equal loudness. Every time I say Birmingham someone reams me out & swears British is right, every time I say British the opposite happens.
If you do an internet search for either you get the same number of hits as well so that is no help either.

Finally I just went to the source & Birmingham it is.Clap
http://gunproof.com/Proofing/proofing.html

Meanwhile, back on topic.......................
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 3:38am
Birmingham is and was the main prood house in the UK.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

DRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 6:19am
While everyone is on about BLR, BPH and the like, can someone tell me what 'FTR' stands for?
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go. Always a little further: it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow. Across that angry or that glimmering sea
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 8:30am
FACTORY THOROUGH REPAIR  , in other words re-arsenal-ed , brought back to original glory at current standards 
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 8:44am
Originally posted by UnknownSoldier UnknownSoldier wrote:

Would you think the weapon is safe to fire. I can not find any visible problems with the rifle, the action seems to work properly, the barrell apprears safe. was there a problem with the gun that i should look for?
Sorry, I dont believe it would be wise of anyone on a forum to advise as to whether the rifle is safe to fire without actually examining it first.
The chances are the rifle is ok, but if there is any doubt, take it to a gunsmith.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 10:18am
I test fire many OLD Weapons ..By tyeing them into an old tire and putting a string on them and fireing them from a safe distance ..I look at the spent casing for signs of the primer being pushed out or cracks in the casing .... or if the whole receiver comes apart ..... ..I also gauge the head space too if I have the gauges on hand .... and then do the test fire ....
We used to use the local idiot ..But He went to prison ..so now we do it the safe way !!! LOL
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 3:17pm
Mother in laws and ex wives instead??!  Evil Smile
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 10:55pm
Tony , I cant use My Mother in Law for test fires ..I actually get along with Her ....Hell She thinks Im the Man !!!  I have put up with Her Daughter for 21+ years ..which puts me in the position of Saint in Mother in Laws Eyes !!!!
LOL!!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Beerhunter Beerhunter wrote:

Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

"BNP" ( possibly under a crown) is "British Nitro Proof",

Nope.  It's BIRMINGHAM Nitro Proof.  As opposed to the The Gunmakers Company (London).

That is correct BNP = Birmingham Nitro Proof after 1954 under a crown 
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 1:58am
[QUOTE=UnknownSoldier]I Have 2 rifles, both I believe are Enfields. the first one, listed above No. 4 Mark I has a US PROPERTY stamp near the ejection port left side of the bolt. Also on the collar that wraps around the stock above the trigger guard is stamped 38C1494  5  1842.

On the other one, there are 2 stamps, both on the collar that wraps around the front of the stock above the trigger guard.  It is stamped ENGLAND 9177. It has a blunder bust barrell, and is quite similar to the Mark I.  Here are pics of them.  I would appreciate if anyone can help me out with the second one.

[/QUOTE

I would guess  the the No5Mk1 to be a late war BSA by the serial stamping on the wrist and the metal on the fore stock. The action has the green paint that was used in jungle conditions such as Malaysia or Burma.  I met a retired Brit that used one in Malaysia, he called it a "Burma Rifle".Have a competent gunsmith to check the headspace and overall conditon before firing it. I can imagine the stories these old guns could tell........
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 4:12am
im sure the date on your savage no4 rifle is 1942 [1842 is a typo] i may be seeing things but it looks marked mkI* , but that early date might be missing the *[ star ]

nice looking rifle - a quick trip to your local gunsmith can confirm condition to shoot/or not

as to the BSA , im inclined to agree with you because of the wrist marking but should sport an M47C marking ,

as to the metal stock cap - that is not an indicator , the cap shows up on both mfgrs rifles early and late production , no ryme nor reason , for instance there is a cap on my late production FAZ no5 , see below

cdsx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 2:15pm
And here I am resurrecting an old thread: I was searching for the meaning of the letters "BLR" stamped on an Enfield I'm negotiating, and I find the answer here, proving again just how much valuable information can be mined from these old posts. The twist is, that the Enfield in question is a .30-06 M1917, "sporterized" (complete with redneck camo finish!) Am I correct in assuming that the British BLR stamp means that it's one of the surplus American rifles sent over and issued to the home forces? The "sporterizing" and camo finish eliminates any chance of finding traces of the red stripe. I didn't think the red stripe guns stayed in service long enough to get to the BLR stage. Can any of the very knowledgeable minds hereabout shed some light on that?
Lcpl0352 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lcpl0352 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 4:53pm
I have a 1943 lee Enfield no4 m1, beautiful firearm. I haven't been able to find any info about its 2 letter designators for the serial number. AK11432. If anyone knows anything about it I would appreciate the knowledge. Thanks in advance.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 7:58pm
This is the only thing I can say with any amount of certainty. Your rifle was made at the Maltby plant.  Bear43  can let you know more about it. Pictures of it will make thing easier for us. The area on the flat/slab side where  the barrel threads into the receiver should have a couple of very tiny circles with numbers inside them. Above your serial number there should also be a stylized M with the possibility of a an M47C as well.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2019 at 7:11am
It was a way of recycling individual serial numbers but making them unique.
You started of with Serial No 1000. Then you went up to 9999. Then you had the "A" series (A1000~A9999), then B & C &  so on to Z9999.

Well almost
Confused
Some factories used the first digit as a code for the maker, so some were 2000~2999 & others 3000~3999, but you get the idea.

Next you went to a double letter so AA1000~AA9999 & then AB####, AC####,  AD#### & so on to ZZ####. After that you went back to plain old #### hoping the different manufacture year would separate them anyway.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic