Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Case trimming, what length?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ianca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Case trimming, what length?
    Posted: December 01 2012 at 6:21am
The first thing I do with any gun I aquire is a chamber cast which includes the throat and a short bit of the rifling that tells me what I have and can proceed from there. there have been a number of things I have found over the yrs. that were not easily seen and some things that made me not want to shoot that gun. Of the 30 odd 303's I have owned still got 18 of them not one had a chamber that wouldn't take 2.222" brass which nowadays comes .010" short anyway BUT there could be one out there so if you cant check it properly get it to a gunsmith would be my advice cheers Ian.
It's not so much the size of the hole as where it is
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 4:56am
I would determine the length of the chamber and trim to maximum length. Normally I don't trim at all but if I do I only square the mouths and set them to an even length without removing much material.  I want those cases as long as possible since they always seem to be too short for the chamber.  On the side of caution, I wouldn't trim to less than 2.222"
303Guy
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 7:50pm
Our club range is only 50 meters and obviously we can keep the targets, but the 200 meter shoot was a regional competition so I did not get the opportunity to take a photo or inspect the target properly. Next time I'll take a camera. Generally I think you only get to inspect at your target if you disagree with the result. I knew I had lost a bit of concentration on the second series of 10 shots, because I was not properly equipped !
No foam mat or elbow pads. After the first 10 shots my elbows were starting to irritate, and I found myself wriggling a bit during the last 10 shots. This was shown in the results; 85 /100 for the first 10 and 69/100 for the last 10. I noticed some of the more experienced shooters had what appear to be military type training jackets that have elbow and shoulder padding. I'm sure thats would help more consistent shooting. I was told they are American so need to find out where to get one.
From your reply I had assumed that one would not trim below 2,212".but thanks for clarifying the point.
Regards, Zed.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 5:16am
"Unfortunately they don't let you keep the targets."

Can you at least get pictures for a logbook?

Re-reading my last post I realized I'd missed something in the trimming info. It should have read:
"to have at least one caliber diameter length for seating the bullet or until you reach 2.212" whichever comes first. "

Sorry about that.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 2:49am
Thanks for clarifying that Shamu. I will check the seating depth. My last load was for my first competition with the Lee Enfield (or any rifle come to that) and first ever 200 meter shoot so I was careful to select the most equal length ammunition for the 20 shots that mattered. I was pleased with my score 154 out of possible 200. Unfortunately they don't let you keep the targets.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 8:53am
Trim to length is based on maximum length, less 0.010 it's a purely mathematical thing.
(I'm assuming .303 Brit, not .303 sporting or anything like that.)

My manuals say maximum is 2.222" & trim  to is 2.212". Now you can be as short as you like (within sane limits), but the maximum is a safety thing to keep from geting the case neck/bullet crimp & so on up into the throat. Long is bad, but short not necessarily so.

My rule of thumb is to have at least one caliber diameter length for seating the bullet. I honestly forget where this comes from, but it seems a workable answer in the real world. Based on that I'd set up a bullet seating depth first, & then trim back based on that so I had a minimum of .311 of depth within the case neck for the bullet to grasp so it will release clean & centered.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 2:53am
I think that 2,222" is the maximum advised case length, but when trimming the cases, what is the best length for accuracy? I have just started out trimming cases as I have only just started to re-use the cases. At present I trim to 2,215". To allow for a bit more expansion. Should I go closer to the maximum length?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic