Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Enfield, First Post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davoovs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Enfield, First Post
    Posted: May 09 2012 at 9:35am
Picked up first Enfield today.  No.4 MK1 Long Branch.  Anything not covered in cosmoline (barrel bands, muzzle) are rusty.  Paid $175 not that it matters.  .303 with a CAI barrel.  I see bolt, receiver and magazine share the same serial number.  I can see bolt and receiver,  but magazine...  Whats up with that???   Receiver is stamped Long Branch 1943.  Sight stamped MK III.  Receiver has an "L" in its serial number while the bolt and magazine dont.  Googled enfield and this looked like the place to go.. I am not a collector for value but appreciate historical firearms as well as new stuff..  This will be a shooter.  Stock isn't cracked, not to bad a deal i'm hopin'.  I took a couple pics.. This is my first post so please bear with me.
Eric View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 10:39am
First off, welcome to the forum. Secondly, very nice rifle! I would love to find a No.4 in decent condition for 175.00. I just always seem to miss the good deals.

Eric
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 10:43am
Nice rifle, its' always good to buy a rifle with everything intact and matching! You got a good price for that beauty!
davoovs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davoovs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 11:10am
Thanks!!!  I'm looking out now for ammo.  
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 11:30am
CAI is the importers mark !!!   Century Arm International !!!

Wish I could still get them for that price ...actually I did at one time get them cheaper than that ...but them days are long gone ...you got a very good deal there !!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
davoovs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davoovs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 12:38pm
What does CAI do as an importer?  Would they stamp a magazine to match numbers to a receiver and bolt.  I doubt a military contractor would do that.  The barrel is stamped CAI but the receiver and bolt numbers match minus the addition of an "L" in the receiver number which I assume designates long branch.  I also wonder if CAI would stamp a replacement bolt as the numbers are quite large on the rear of the bolt handle.  I am actively seeking more info on the rifle (google) so I will try not to be too much a bother with newbie questions.  Thank you for your responses (and patience)
Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 2:24pm
Short of putting the import mark on the rifle CAI does nothing basically. They look at em, price em, pack em, and ship em. The military contractors did mark the mags as these are not to be removed from the rifle like you would an AR15. Soldiers got 2 mags, one in the rifle and a back up if the primary got damaged or lost. The Lee Enfield is meant to be fed with chargers and NOT magazine changes like an assault rifle. The only reason for removing the mags is when you clean the gun or need to clear up a jam. These mags are fragile so try to be careful when it comes to insertion and removal of it. But yes the L is for Longbranch and when it comes to American made rifles there is a C in the serial number along with "US PROPERTY" stamped on top of the receiver wall.

That is a great looking rifle and it looks like it is gonna clean up great! Clean it up and keep it in that condition and that 175 bucks is gonna multiply over the coming years! Clap
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 4:42am
It appears to be a No 4 Mk1* model, the * denotes a simpler bolt removal system I believe, removal of the bolt release catch that is on the No4 mk1 rifle, basically a wartime economy to speed up production. Most US production was Mk1* specification. The rear sight is a mark 3 sight, it is correct. You could fit a Mk 1 sight which is screw adjustment instead of the slide. Again, the mark 3 sight was a wartime economy compared to the Mk1 sight. You will enjoy shooting it; they are great rifles.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 7:55am
If you're looking for ammo MIlSurp is getting hard to find. Try some Prvi Partizan, its nice stuff, reasonably priced & reloadable as well.
Oh & welcome.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Lost Kangaroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Kangaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 9:43am
Reload my man, many good recipes out there...better groups, no corrosive salts and you get the satisfaction of shooting what you made, cant beat it.
After the initial startup costs, you will make your money back quickly if you shoot a fair bit.
Especially with the .303 costs these days.

180 grain Sierra projectile
Varget powder (I go for around 38 grains)
CCI or Remington primers....I try to use the same batch for each bunch of reloads.

This is pretty close to milspec and will shoot well for you, I promise!

Get some
Ishapore150 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishapore150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 9:53am
Speaking of Ammo,Would you believe there's 2 boxes of Remington 180gr .303 British at Harry Smith's Ace hardware right here in Eunice,LA.Saw them today when I was looking for bug spray.They are $26.99 each.I guess that's not too bad of a price.I don't see them flying off the shelf any time soon...LOL
-.- -.. ..... --- --.. .--- If you understand that 73's
meta1704 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meta1704 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 2:03pm
since your in the states, cheaperthandirt.com   .303 16.95-30 bucks depending on what you buy. also cabellas has it for not to bad usually around 17-18
davoovs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davoovs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 11:43am
Thanks for the info.  Been going through the posts.. Lots of info and answers to questions I hadn't even thought of yet.  Did find $20 boxes sellier and beloit through natchez i believe.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 3:40pm
The S&B is good ammo but it has next to no case life if you reload.  Reloading is the way to go with a 303, neck size only and have a set of brass for each rifle.  Lost kangaroo's recipe is the same as I use.  Privi brass is the best out there for a 303. 
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 10:32pm
Yup S&B is an attempt to bring the old design into the 21St century. Its "Fire & forget" ammo!Evil Smile
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic