Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BluntForceTrauma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rifle
    Posted: August 05 2012 at 1:12am
So, I was at the Tanner gun show in Denver yesterday and came across a rifle marked $75.  I'm always looking for "A Deal" so I just paid up.  What's the worst, I'm out $75 fr a wall hanger. 

No magazine came with the rifle but the bore and furniture both looked to be in decent shape.  Did a little shopping around (gun show after all) and found a 10 round magazine that fit properly. 

The barrel is marked, very faintly

SANTA FE MOUNTAINEER
GOLDEN STATE ARMS CORP. PASADENA CALIF

"303BR" (Of Course) 

Also, "3604" on the left hand side of the receiver where the barrel mates to it.  I assume this is the Serial #.  The receiver has no other markings other than England on the right hand side where the Bolt turns down.

The bolt is marked "5" in two places  Also, a small 2

If anyone knows anything about this rifle, specifically the year it might have been manufactured, that is information I would like to have.  I read that Golden state imported quite a few Enfield actions after WWII and used them to build sporterized rifles in the 50's and 60's but nothing more specific about the company.  Neither could I find anything that gave me the impression this is any kind of collectible and so I plan on using it as a shooter. 

My main concern is ammunition.  I already reload .308, .223, and a handful of handful of pistol calibers and based on the prices I'm finding, I will without doubt be researching loads for the .303.

It looks as though  the MilSurp has dried up.  If anyone has any information to the contrary, I'd love to hear about it.
The real mistake the three little pigs made was letting the ol' wolf get close
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 2:51am
Blunt force , You made a very good deal there !!!   what did you pay for the Mag?????

I have yet to get that lucky at a Gun Show !!!  Lately any how ......
but did find an Enfield mag for $10.00 once ...snatched it up fast !!!  
And as for Mil - Surp ammo , I would have to check one of my sources and get back to you on that ....
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 2:57am
Blunt Force , it looks as though I am the only Dealer left with Mil - Surp ammo .....  My wholesaler I used to get it from is out and has been since I got Cookie Monster a 360 round ammo box of it ....at around the same time I ordered 2000 rounds of loose ammo , and bag it to sell in my store ....

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
BluntForceTrauma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BluntForceTrauma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 3:26am
Rhino, I paid $40 for the mag.  Not knowing what what the prospects of finding one were, I didn't haggle since it was the last one the guy had.  Still, $115 out the door for a firearm in better than average condition.  I'm notorious for snagging those deals.  That's about what I paid for my M91/30 and I don't think it near as quality a rifle as the Mountaineer. 

I did find that ProMag Industries is making an aftermarket #4 MK1 magazine and is selling them on their website for $32

http://www.promagindustries.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ENF+04&CartID=1

Also found a couple on eBay for $35  plus shipping.

Since it's a bolt gun, I may pick up a spare magazine or two but I don't feel I need the full load out I keep for the semi's.

The real mistake the three little pigs made was letting the ol' wolf get close
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 3:42am
Originally posted by White Rhino White Rhino wrote:

Blunt Force , it looks as though I am the only Dealer left with Mil - Surp ammo .....  My wholesaler I used to get it from is out and has been since I got Cookie Monster a 360 round ammo box of it ....at around the same time I ordered 2000 rounds of loose ammo , and bag it to sell in my store ....

As far as Mil surp ammo goes it was not bad !
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2012 at 5:06am
santa fe is one of the more respected of the sporter supply houses , they chopped original rifle to make them more desireable to hunters , they have developed into a collecting area all their own , congrats - good buy
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2012 at 6:07am
Try the "Prvi Partizan" commercial it's good stuff usually available at gunshows & reasonably priced. The brass is reloadable too.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Revolver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Revolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 10:07pm
I have had for about 20 years what I believe is the same rifle as you
SANTA FE MOUNTAINEER
GOLDEN STATE ARMS CORP. PASADENA CALIF
303BR

Really wish I could date the year of manufacture. 
Haven't been able to find any magazines at the gun shows. 
Haven't been able to locate any info regarding the serial number. 
Bummer 

Revolver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Revolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 11:05pm
Revolver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Revolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 11:07pm
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 6:26am
The Santa Fe division of Golden State Arms converted various milsurp rifles to sporters from the 50's to the late 60's. Your rifle would fall into the mid 50's category of manufacture from the serial number. 
There is a five round Santa Fe magazine on eBay right now too.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 2:53pm
Remember you will probably have to do a little "tweaking" with non-matching magazines. They were serial number matched to the individual rifle for just that reason.

I believe all the Golden State guns ere no4's not No1's?
If so any No4 or No5 magazine should fit except as mentioned.
This is my No5 "Goobermint Model Sporter" with a 5-round Santa Fe mag.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 8:44pm
My Santa Fe Special with a new Boyd stock, 20" barrel with a reproduction No5MkI flash hider and Lyman ivory bead front sight,reproduction No4Mk1 T scope mount with pads,and the venerable Santa Fe 5round magazine. 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2019 at 10:31am
Beauty of a rifle, Goosic!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2019 at 3:35pm
Goosic... beautiful! Front ivory bead sight. With a scope mounted, does this rifle have a "manual" rear site to utilize it? I ask because I made a "scout" rifle out of an old No4 and kept the front site for looks but removed the rear in lieu of a scope. Thanks!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2019 at 4:07pm
A just in case sight...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic