Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butt Stock Removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pommy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butt Stock Removal
    Posted: March 29 2013 at 7:09pm
Hi can anyone help,

I was lucky enough to be left a 303 MIII*.

However don't think it was ever looked after properly in the last 20 years or so as it is full of rust.Not to worry as I will enjoy bringing it back to it's former glory.

I have managed to strip it for cleaning etc all apart from the stock??? I have tried good old WD40 and a flat head screw driver still with no success Cry

How else can I remove it as I fear it has been rusted tight ???

Anyone else ever had this problem before ?

Cheers , Pommy Confused
If The sh*t Fits......Wear It
Ishapore150 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishapore150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 10:23pm
he!!o Pommy,Try standing the rifle up and put a few drops of Kroil.Then give it a little time to greep down the threads.Just my .02 cents.
-.- -.. ..... --- --.. .--- If you understand that 73's
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 12:02am
First remove the forend wood! (If you haven't already).
There is a square shaft end on the screw that is trapped between the parts of the forend wood, if you don't remove the forend you might damage it as the square becomes a diamond-shape while turning.
Second: did you remove the washer covering the bolt head? Its down in the tunnel & if not removed will prevent you getting a good fit into the slot.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pommy76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pommy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 2:35pm
Thanks all.
Not sure if they sell Kroil here in Australia? But will try and find something simular if not? I have removed washer but still no joy as of yet!!! Will let you know how I go

Pommy
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 11:49pm
Poke around in here a bit. Theres a home-brew formula for an oil & acetone (I think) mix that should work. Just be careful mixing/storing/using it its a bit heady if you get my drift.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 6:02am
It is Dexron transmission fluid and acetone in a 50/50 mix. Try and get it onto the threaded end of the screw from behind the trigger area and let it soak in. I would suggest using a syringe or similar to apply the mix and avoid getting too much on the wood if possible. This mix works great on steel and iron (although not so good on aluminium corrosion). Use in a ventilated area and no smoking! This works much better than WD40 for freeing rusted bolts.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 11:31am
The last one I worked on was TIGHT, and I think you know what I mean. I got it out by clamping the barrel in a padded vise and then using my long screwdriver that I ground the head specially for SMLE stock bolts. Came out hard all the way even though there was no rust present on the threads! There was no way I would've gotten that one out without the vise.
Pommy76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pommy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by ArcherSix ArcherSix wrote:

The last one I worked on was TIGHT, and I think you know what I mean. I got it out by clamping the barrel in a padded vise and then using my long screwdriver that I ground the head specially for SMLE stock bolts. Came out hard all the way even though there was no rust present on the threads! There was no way I would've gotten that one out without the vise.

I given that a go with no luck.I have sent off to US for some Kroil as I will give anything a go now lol.

Will let you know how I go Wink
MaxP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 8:02pm
 Cut a bit of hardwood and stick it in or on a vise so the butt socket can sit on it with the butt in the air, and ensure the screw isn't contacting the wood. Get a big brass drift and put it in the screw hole and give the head of the screw a big crack with a big hammer.  Never sit the the muzzle on the ground or brace it in any other way, otherwise you will do irreparable damage to the receiver.

The best screwdriver if you don't have a really big one, is the other end of a wheel nut wrench out of your car. Check it for fit, and make sure you hold it into the slot as tight as you can as you try to turn it.
ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 10:56am
Good idea with the brass rod Max. Let us know how this turns out Pommy.
Pommy76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pommy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by MaxP MaxP wrote:

Cut a bit of hardwood and stick it in or on a vise so the butt socket can sit on it with the butt in the air, and ensure the screw isn't contacting the wood. Get a big brass drift and put it in the screw hole and give the head of the screw a big crack with a big hammer.  Never sit the the muzzle on the ground or brace it in any other way, otherwise you will do irreparable damage to the receiver.

The best screwdriver if you don't have a really big one, is the other end of a wheel nut wrench out of your car. Check it for fit, and make sure you hold it into the slot as tight as you can as you try to turn it.

Thanks, Will Do Guy's 

Pommy Wink
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 11:34pm
its worth the soaking time and efforts to break free the threads as rushing can cause damage thats irrepairable , good luck with your efforts
Pommy76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pommy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 7:27pm
G'day All,

Just to let you know I managed to remove my stock a combined effort of all your help!!!

Thanks again for all your very helpful and useful information.

Pommy
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 9:30pm
HandshakeBeer
ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 10:32am
yaaaaay!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 10:17pm
glad to hear of your success
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic