Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sporterized and Modified.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sporterized and Modified.
    Posted: May 04 2013 at 7:14am
Whats the chances of altering the "AFTERMARKET ENFIELDS'  heading to AFTERMARKET and SPORTERIZED /MODIFIED ENFIELDS, in order to get the odd "I want to bastardise my rifle" posts away from the serious collector forum? 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 10:50pm
Its not really a serious collector forum as much as a generic I own an Enfield forum IMO. There are serios collector forums, pretty much restricted to collectors, but I'd not think that was the aim of this site, which is its appeal to many members.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
sayak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 7:33am
I love the Enfield. I love to shoot it, carry it, hunt with it, reload for it and clean it. I understand the desire to keep Enfields intact and original, but really, maybe you shouldn't treat others who aren't such purists as if we were lepers. We share enough in common that maybe you could accomodate us. Just a thought.
I support hard work, creativity, freedom, responsibility and truth
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 12:21pm
While I would not do it to a intact rifle there are plenty out there that have been sportered already that could make a hunting rifle.  Even I built a hunting rifle on a stripped BRNO mauser action. Nice little Mannlicher stocked carbine fitted with a receiver peep. I killed my first deer with it. I sold it to a co-worker after I had to give up hunting, and he has taken several deer and feral hogs with it.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 3:17pm
I don't think we'll go down that road. The "serious" collectors sites end up a mess with all the bitching and in fighting. An enfield is an enfield regardless of of whats happened to it in the past! Some can be restored some can't, either way they have character and history behind them!
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 7:45pm
"Aftermarket Enfields" seemsa reasonably neutral term. Maybe those of us who have them should just make better use of that section?

I have (as some will have heard) a Parker Hale Supreme No 4. The  finish in the woodwork is a little worn, I was thinking of stripping it, staining it black,giving it a coat of matt polyurethane varnish, fitting a bipod and having it screwcut for a moderator. It already has a S+K scope mount with Schmidt and Bender 6x42 scope.

That could be quite cool I think, it's not a collectors item as it stands and the finish on the metal is still deep blue.
Life is full of possibilities, 50% of them are likely to good....
LilysDad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilysDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 9:21pm
I hear a lot of complaining about sporterizing, but I haven't heard a word about stripping guns for parts.
If the village came to my house complaining about my yard, I'd have a fit.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 10:07pm
If the sporterising really bothers you that much why not just don't open the aftermarket sub forum & you should miss most of the issues?

I agree with Tony on this, the thing that makes this forum "better" is the variety. I've left a couple of "Collectors only" forums just because the focus ther is so narrow.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 3:20am
Thanks Shamu you put it much more politely than I do! Evil Smile
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

sayak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 4:36am
Being a member of many fora (as most of you are also, I imagine), I have noticed that folks get their noses out of joint when they encounter something they don't like on a sub-forum. It becomes like a "moth-to-flame" situation for some folks, and they click on it and they get upset. So much better to just ignore sub-fora that you don't approve of or aren't interested in. Like me, not interested in bayonets or re-enactments, so I don't even click on them. They don't bother me, just not interested. I'm glad there is diversity amongst Enfield owners.
I support hard work, creativity, freedom, responsibility and truth
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 6:23am
Thanks all for your interesting insight on this, but notice the double standards with your comments on HERESY.Clap
daneko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 10:53am
I have both, some nice examples of a no 5 pakistan no4 early 5 groove savage. and on loan to me a 1916 bsa. I like them , I also have a soft spot for santa fe rifles and beyond resto bubba guns.enfields started out one way and due to circumstances and economics. some got changed..I like them all.Dane.....
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 10:16pm
I don't see a double standard. The consensus was that if its been "pre-bubba'd"Ermm then there's no harm in making an "improved sporter" with a bubba as a starting point. Several had said they would restore a rifle that was only chopped in the wood but not a restorable one.

Its the old more than one way to skin a cat thing.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 12:36am
WHO'S Skinnin cats?!
That's not very nice! Poor pussy cat ends up bein chicken-chow-meow
Heathens!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 1:31am
Thats "MISTER Heathen"Big smile, sir!
BlackAck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackAck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 1:38am
And I thought it was 'MISS'.... Wink

An Enfield is an Enfield no matter its condition.  Sporterizing just isn't my bag, baby.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic