Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rifle Identification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 9:15am
Originally posted by paddyofurniture paddyofurniture wrote:

Nice rifle, 1917 was a good year.

Looks like someone cut down the stock.

How does it shoot?

Well, it goes like this,Paddy.
Ya push the bolt forward , thereby chambering a live cartridge.
Once the bolt is in the "locked down" position...it is "cocked" and ready to fire.
Whence you pull the trigger, the primer is struck by the firing pin-thereby exploding the powder in the cartridge. The resulting gasses from said explosion pushes the bullet down the barrel & on it's way to whatever target you send it. Really..I thought you woulda known this by now!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Rastis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rastis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 3:14pm
G'Day,
          This is the third SMLE sporterised exactly the same I have seen, with the rounded pistol grip and filled site protector holes. The other 2 were BSA manufacture from 1915. One is featured in Jay Currah's web site, listing examples of sporterised Lee Enfields. The other is owned by a neighbor here in Australia. I am starting to believe a company may have been commercializing WW1 surplus rifles to this style and selling them to the public. Just seems a coincidence to have the same rifle on different continents.

Thanks,
Rastis.
Rule .303
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 4:38pm
sure glad he got the photos posted before we cannibalized him , thanks for joining us and sorry things went so sideways before getting on track , 

nice rifle , we encourage restoration where possible , 
BlackAck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackAck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 5:37am
LOL 

Thank you for the laugh. 

Hudson, you have a nice Enfield.  Now the question is: restore or not?
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 5:49am
If you decide on a restoration check with APEX , they have an online store.
They used to list unissued in the wrap nose caps with no serial numbers.
Its always better to have no numbers on the cap rather than non matching numbers which show the cap has been salvaged from another rifle.

Last time I looked they no longer listed these, but its common for online stores to stop listing an item when stocks run low. You could email them to find out if they still have a few stashed away.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 8:31am
Well now I have a question of identity.
One of the lads that hunts with me brought his Enfield to camp(as most do). This one was a No4 MkI stamped 1944.
There was NO serial number on the bolt at all.
The I.D stampings were on the LEFT side of the socket, and it was stamped "SURREY" in the middle of the barrel - half way down.
It was sported, but still retained the original butt plate.
I've never seen one marked like that before, & it seemed to be covered in that "black paint" (suncorite?)
Please give me some insight on this, Oracle of the forum.
Hoadie
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 8:45am
what has happened to the magazine well ?
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 8:52am
I live in Surrey, BC. Man, would I love to own a #4 with 'Surrey' stamped on the wrist!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 11:59am
Not stamped on the wrist, Canuck. Its stamped on the top of the barrel
Hoadie
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 2:16pm
Okay, thx for the correction.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic