Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A time to celebrate!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenchieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A time to celebrate!!!!!!!
    Posted: December 16 2013 at 3:52am
As a relatively new member very few of you know anything about me, however there are just a couple of you who I have takling into my confidence that know what I have been going through over the last three weeks but were asked not to make it "common knowledge"! I decided not to make anything common knowledge as i did not want this situation to be seen or thought of as attention or sympathy seeking.
For a while I had been coughing up traces of blood, which concerned me but being a typical man I tried to hide my head in the sand and ignore it. Things came to a head a few weeks ago and got to the extent that my wife "ordered" me to go to the doctor about it, which I did.
After sitting with the doctor and discussing my symptoms he told me that he was sending me directly for x-rays and then tests at the hospital. This set my alarm bells ringing so I asked him to tell me straight out what he thought was wrong. He dropped the bomb she!! and said that he suspected that i might have lung cancer!
Now I really don't know how people are expected to handle news like that but i can tell you that I didn't handle it very well. I don't mind admitting that I immediately thought the worst and both my wife and I cried.
Anyway I went and had the x-rays that day and they were followed over the next few weeks by several days each week of going to several different hospitals for all sorts of other tests. On the first visit to the hospital I was seen by the Respiratory Consultant who after examining me introduced me to a "Macmillain Cancer Nurse", and I can tell you that really frightened the life out of me as it seemed so "definite" - As it turned out it was a precautionary thing so that he could answer any questions of concerns while the tests were being done.
Anyway, to cut a long story short I have been poked, prodded, x-rayed, had a series of CT Scand, had cameras stuffed up my nose and then down into my lungs, had samples taken from my lungs and throat and all sorts of other things that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, and then I had the agonising wait for the results, which semed like an eternity! Now let me tell you that when you have to go through all of the (And I certainly would not wish that on anyone) it is a natural human thing to thing the worst. I'm not a strongly religious man but I went through the stage of asking "Why me" and then a stage of being angry about it which was followed by a stage of thinking what if it wasn't treatable or operable - how long might i have left?
One of the things I wanted was that this information should be kept to just immediate family and a few people that I thought might need to or ought to know. The last thing that i wanted was for poeple to be coming up to me trying to shower me with sympathy and well wishes - I find that sort of thing extremely embarrassing!
Well, the time for waiting is now over and I received a message to go to see my doctor this morning. I went to see my doctor this morning still worrying about the worst possible scenario. My worries were unfounded! He has told me that all of the tests have confirmed that I do not have cancer, but I do however have Emphysema. To add to that I have what they have classed as Cysts on my liver but they are not serious enough to cause any immediate concern.
All in all I couldn't have asked for a better Christmas present for me and my (long suffering but much loved) wife.
I'm now going to have a large and very enjoyable glass of Scotch and settle down to enjoy Christmas and the rest of my life with my wife.
I hope you all have as happy and as carefree a Christmas as I am going to have !
Wounding is not an option!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 4:33am
..you were lucky, this time. Maybe a good time to quit smoking?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 4:38am
Getting the all clear is great news indeed! Enjoy your Christmas and have a great New Year!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 4:58am
Awesome news.Thumbs Up
Emphysema, while being nothing to laugh about, is easily survivable & that's a he!! of a lot better than the alternative.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Frenchieboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenchieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 5:22am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Hoadie
I couldn't agree more Hoadie, I count myself very lucky! And that's why I haven't smoked for over 4 months now after quitting from a 50 a day habit and I most certainly don't intend to smoke again!
Frenchieboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenchieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Awesome news.Thumbs Up
Emphysema, while being nothing to laugh about, is easily survivable & that's a he!! of a lot better than the alternative.

Once again that is so true Shamu my friend. I have been living on a knife edge for the last few weeks preparing myself for the worst. While emphysema is nothing to be laughed at as you quite rightlu say it's one heck of a lot better than what i was expecting and what the doctor originally suspected!
I count myself very fortunate indeed!
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 5:26am
It is hard to give up smoking. The thirty to sixty days are rough.

I did it by having my nose and jaw, in three places,  broken when I was in the Army.

Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Hoadie
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 5:46am
..I quit over 30 years ago..still get the occasional craving(like after a superb meal). But even tho I quit - it didn't stop me from getting COPD. Doc figgers its from all the black powder I sucked in while re-enacting.Fortunatly -for me-its classed as a mild case.It WILL get worse as I age. There is no "cure" for it, they just make you comfortable
Hoadie
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 6:14am
I quit 4 years ago. Mainly because I was in the horsepustule for a couple of weeks & they had me so zonked out on IV's that I didn't even think of smoking. That got me started & the Double Pneumonia I was in there for really brought home to me that you gotta breathe to live.
My buddy quit a while earlier than I did so he was my mentor in the cold turkey process. Its amazing the stages you go through. What catches you is that "just one" syndrome. Avoid it like the plague & buy bigger pants & shoes. The average weight gain is 40 Lbs!Evil Smile
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 6:14am
My very best regards to you, your wife and family! You have been spared an agonizing life threatening prognosis. My wife died suddenly in a head on car crash more than 10 years ago. When you don't see it coming, there is no time for worrying about a long drawn out wait for the end. I can tell you from experience that losing your spouse is one of the harshest things a person can go through, next to losing a child of any age. Enjoy the rest of your lives and thank you for sharing with us here! Merry Christmas and many many more Happy New Years too! Life is great, live it to the fullest each and every day.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 6:44am
merry christmas and happy new year , glad you got the great present and hope all of the future years are as enjoyable as this holiday season , also glad you will be hangin out with us here into the future 
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 8:13am
Great News!
I am pretty sure You will be having a Merry CHristmas
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 9:44am
Merry Christmas!!!  and may You have many more!!

I watched as my Step Dad slipped away from cancer , Was not good, and I dont wish to ever see any one go that way again!
My Father Died at 76 From a massive heart attack , I at least got to talk to him on Thursday and we figure he passed that Saturday!
I was at work When My Wife called to tell me they found my Mother dead in her apartment , 74 and from a massive heart attack. She was a mean Woman, but still my Mother !!! I had always figured She would have died from cancer, She smoked cigars right up to the end!  if you asked her or said any thing about her smoking, after she chewed your but off about how old she was and all she would then say there cigars !! its not cigarets !! and yes she inhaled !!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 9:56am
so WR you OK if i bring cigars when i come to call ? ill bring beer too , or a nice single malt ????
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 10:05am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

so WR you OK if i bring cigars when i come to call ? ill bring beer too , or a nice single malt ????

Sure!! LOL!!  I dont inhale !!!  LOL!! But I do partake of the Beer and Single malt !! LOL!!

I smuggled a couple of Cubans back when me and the Wife went to the Bahamas for Her Boss, he is a connoisseur of cigars !! built his own humidor ! He gave me a rather nice cigar for Christmas one year !!! best I ever had !!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 10:40am
..Rhino - turn down a beer??!! Give yourself a shake, man!
Hoadie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic