Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tet Vet 1968 the year of the rat.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tet Vet 1968 the year of the rat.
    Posted: February 04 2014 at 10:21pm
Thank you for being his friend and remember him with a smile.

I remember lot of friends like that.

We will catch up with a beer around a fire.

Yes it will be PBR.

Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

i understand perfectly , interestingly enough my friend who was decorated for his actual valor came home to a home town that saw little to thank him for , even his father acted like he was acting out because he tried to pick up where he left off those years before , 

he was a high school graduate that went to war , dreamed of coming home , and when he did , not only were there no thanks for his service , people looked at him as if he should have grown up with them - understanding them - thinking like them , but he didn't get that chance , so he picked up where he left off and they did not understand , 

im blessed to have him as a friend , 
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 11:26am
i hear that , may we always remember but not the bad 
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 4:11pm
Sometimes it takes more than ice in the beer to blot out the memories, and the bad nights still keep coming.

Keep well MJ.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 10:29am
i understand perfectly , interestingly enough my friend who was decorated for his actual valor came home to a home town that saw little to thank him for , even his father acted like he was acting out because he tried to pick up where he left off those years before , 

he was a high school graduate that went to war , dreamed of coming home , and when he did , not only were there no thanks for his service , people looked at him as if he should have grown up with them - understanding them - thinking like them , but he didn't get that chance , so he picked up where he left off and they did not understand , 

im blessed to have him as a friend , 
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 6:46am
It's just me thinking to much.

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 6:20am
sorry to hear of your friend , and we all appreciate the magnitude of your sacrifice , they were troubling times to be sure , about that same time period a friend of mine locally was awarded decoration for moving planes under fire in a similar attack , we all respect the service ,

no need to apologize for the grumpy , most of us did not realize the significance of the photo as you did not elaborate , it looks much like many of us as younger folks and those of us that remember would be remiss in not recalling with fond memory that we were once young , 

you know we are a light hearted bunch - even in the face of adversity and and sadness because it offers a release , i'm not , nor would i ever make light of what happened there , please know your photo does not convey what you have told us 
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 4:45am
The M16 was a captured rifle I had taken from an NVA 30 yards East of the tower in the back ground who used it to shoot my friend Rich Gideon in the head rendering him KIA 45 years ago today.

I apologize for being a little grumpy today.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 3:44am
ahhhh , the trusty FN , i think a '68 FN would have pleased me more than the '68 M-16[pictured above ]
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 3:00am
I was in Belfast in 68 lugging an FN round and dodging snipers!
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 1:14pm
..I was born at a very early age, myself. But I was starting high school back then..
So I say: Chung King Fat Boy..(Cuz I'll bet you aint as skinny as that now! )
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 8:53am
68 ????2 years old .. Dont remember much, a few of My Sister and Brothers, nothing more than little glitches of it if anything at all...
I do remember the Japanese sword My Father had, that My Mother killed a snake with in our back yard at the time..
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 6:40am
I was being thrown out of the former country of Czechoslovakia by orientals wearing coal scuttle helmets & speaking Russian with a horrible accent.

Bad timing on my part really I was supposed to be installing a film processor in a Technical college in Bratislava during the day & drinking beer with Czech students in the evenings.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 3:53am
I was 5, and sitting on my Dads knee steering when he was driving, or listening to him tell me about the 303, best rifle in the world according to him Smile
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 10:49am
In 1968 I was just starting to enjoy and try to understand cars, women and old military guns.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 10:44am
is that you MJ ?  i would have looked a bit like that when that photo was taken - oh too be so trim and 'in shape'  as we were in '68 - and so smart too :>}

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 2:04am
Thank you for your service.

I missed that one, my two older brothers went.

I went to Berlin and throw rocks, coke bottles and sh*t at the East Germans solders at the wall.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic