Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A27/BA27 Scope mount

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A27/BA27 Scope mount
    Posted: May 23 2015 at 1:11am
I'm in the process of getting a Parker Hale Custom No1 to replace my No4 Supreme which I regretfully sold to a keen friend. The No1 unlike the No4 is not a sporterised military rifle. These were new rifles built by Parker Hale using ex- military No1 actions. It is drilled to accept a A27 scope mount (I believe A27 and BA27 are interchangeable) I wondered if anyone had one to spare.
Life is full of possibilities, 50% of them are likely to good....
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 9:22am
I know a fellow back east in Canada who MIGHT have what you need and I will ask him for you. No guarantee just trying to help you out. Here is a picture of what you need with the scope rings you will also need which are Parker Hale RAHS pieces. Sorry about the fuzzy phone-camera photo. Those scope rings will enable a much larger objective lens scope to be installed than the Tasco scope in the photo while still using a 1" scope tube.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2015 at 6:24am
Thanks very much, I have a set of RAHS3 somewhere but I was wondering if they'd be tall enough or not for my Schmidt and Bender 6x42.

This is my new rifle, Haven't got it home yet but it looks in very good condition:

http://highwoodclassicarms.co.uk/Firerms%20For%20Sale/smleac.htm.

Any one want to interpret the markings? I can see that it's based on 1916 Sht. L.E. Action. That looks like a low serial number, not sure what the other marks mean.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 3:06pm
I checked your rifle from the link you provided and it is a gorgeous piece! I take it that is the 22 inch barrel? The fuzzy photo I provided is my rifle now as I just finalized the purchase today. Mine has an 18 inch barrel but I can't find any information about that anywhere online. I think maybe it is in some Parker Hale catalog somewhere but I can't be sure. The fellow I purchased it from had 2 with the 18 inch barrel and he mentioned that they are rare in that original barrel length from Parker Hale. Mine is serial# 790 and is virtually un-used.These sure are fine looking and performing hunting rifles!
flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2015 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Canuck Canuck wrote:

I checked your rifle from the link you provided and it is a gorgeous piece! I take it that is the 22 inch barrel? The fuzzy photo I provided is my rifle now as I just finalized the purchase today. Mine has an 18 inch barrel but I can't find any information about that anywhere online. I think maybe it is in some Parker Hale catalog somewhere but I can't be sure. The fellow I purchased it from had 2 with the 18 inch barrel and he mentioned that they are rare in that original barrel length from Parker Hale. Mine is serial# 790 and is virtually un-used.These sure are fine looking and performing hunting rifles!

Haha, I haven't seen mine yet but it looks like a 22 inch barrel and I'm assured it has a very good bore too, really very excited to get it home and try it out. I have Parker Hale catalogues  for 1968 and 1973 so I may be able to identify the model of your rifle if you send me a couple of clearer pics. After reading them more closely I see that A27 and BA27 scope mounts are identical too, so that's handy.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2015 at 3:16am
I'll do that Flanker, thanks! Haven't heard back from contact regarding your mounts but as soon as I do you'll be the next to know.
flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2015 at 9:45am
I've had a look  at my books and don't see an 18" barrel on a PH 303. I wonder if he's measured it correctly?

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2015 at 12:19pm
He may not have measured it correctly, I'll see when it gets here. Here is another photo he sent me. Sorry, I am not meaning to hi-jack your thread.....we are both on the same page with these rifles!
flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2015 at 12:42pm
No problem, not feeling hijacked.

That does look very like a PH No.1 Custom and in that photo it looks like a short barrelled one.

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 7:19pm
I just heard from my buddy in Nova Scotia...sorry but no luck on those mounts. I'll keep searching for you, I love a challenge!
flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 6:15am
All help appreciated. Hope you're rifles a real shooter!
flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 2:56am
Yay! Got one.

rpdchief View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpdchief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 8:46am
Help!  I need one too....
Flanker, Canuck!  I have the same Parker Hale No.1 Custom rifle that was just obtained by a buddy for me during a trip to the Yukon, it is beautiful (in my eyes) and reminds me of my youth when the Parker Hale rifles were common here in Canada (the basic ones, not the custom), I suspect they still are just squirreled away now. 
This one is a No.1 Mk3 built by Parker Hale on a 1909 BSA New Zealand marked action.
Flanker my problem is like yours as my rifle does not have the A27 or BA27 side mount.  Any help that you Canuck or other form members would be very much appreciated for this restoration project.
I do have a A29 mount coming but found out too late it was the wrong one as it for the No.4 Mk1 action.
Also it was missing the original Parker Hale cut down 5 round magazine, anyone got one of those?
Thanks for any help or replies pointing me in the right direction.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic