Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flag on Right Arm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flag on Right Arm
    Posted: June 01 2015 at 9:09pm
Could someone explain to me why the flag on the American soldier's right shoulder is "back-to-front". i.e. the stars on the right of the flag?
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 10:06pm
I believe it is to simulate that he is carrying it and it is flying.   It is the same on aircraft.  
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 3:57am
...don't have that problem with the Union Jack or the Cdn leaf..
Loose wimmen tightened here
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 4:37am
Thanks. Just looks odd.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 9:00am
I read somewhere that the stars lead the flag in movement so it is "flopped" to allow the stars to preceded the bars.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 4:08pm
dittos what he said 
Lowspeed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 12:16am
If I get knocked down 6 times I will get up 7 times.
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 8:09am
Don't know what happened to Lowspeed's post.
It is just strange. I was instructed that the flag is "read" left to right. The hoist is on left side of the flag and right of the flag pole, while the fly is farthest from the pole. The USA flag has the Stars in the top left Canton, right of the hoist and the Stripes run right to the fly.

In most militia the unit insignia is worn on the left sleeve and the country flag on the right sleeve. Some countries don't have a problem with which way the flag is (i.e. UK, Switzerland, Holland) while others do (i.e. Ireland, Italy, France)

Then I cam across an explanation:

Quote The blue field of stars should always be in the highest position of honor. When viewing the flag on a wall, the highest position of honor is the upper left when displayed horizontally, and at the top (upper left) when displayed vertically. When displayed on a "moving object" like a person or vehicle, the highest position of honor is the front, and not the rear; so the field of blue should be displayed to the front.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 5:01pm
Its true, symmetrical flags it doesn't matter but many have a definite left & right.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 6:26pm
And be careful how you fly the flag of Great Britain.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 6:43pm
Been a few instances - like hockey games - where the U.S. colour party parades the Canadian flag upside down!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 7:54am
Originally posted by paddyofurniture paddyofurniture wrote:

And be careful how you fly the flag of Great Britain.

True!
Dead
Many don't realize the diagonal crosses (white for St Andrew of Scotland & red for St Patrick of Ireland) are offset.

Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 2:27am
And you are flying it upside down!!Thumbs Down
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 9:54am
I read that the RN would intentionally fly it upside down if the vessel was in distress. Germans couldn't tell the difference but United Kingdom sailors could.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 12:32pm
An international sign of distress is to fly the flag inverted
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 1:52pm
Must be a problem for the Swiss.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic