Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TrailBoss powder loads for 180g cast bullets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariner76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TrailBoss powder loads for 180g cast bullets
    Posted: February 26 2016 at 6:50pm
Gday,has anyone tried TrailBoss powder with 180g cast lead bullets in .303?TrailBoss info page does not give a load for this combination but HawksburyRiver Bullet Co.suggested 13.5grn no gas check.I thought of working up a load from 10grnto 13.5grn TrailBoss site gave info for working out the min load by using 70%of the cases capacity from where the bullet sits.Any information please?
OldManMontgomery View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldManMontgomery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 2:02pm
Trailboss is much too fast a powder for anything but very light (velocity) loads; however the pressures will likely be close to 'normal' for a .303 round.  Please do not try it without some very specific information for 'indoor' loads.  

The Lyman #50 manual some information for 200 grain cast bullet loads with 'pistol' burn rate powders, but nothing with Trailboss.  

You might check some handload sites for information.
I am always ready to learn. I do not always appreciate being taught.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 8:04pm
good advice here - fast powders in rifles can be tricky , 
dodgyrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgyrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 3:29am
Try 16 grains Alliant 2400
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 4:50am
Came this across post while doing some research on .303B and .303 Epps loading.  I know it is an old post but I felt I needed to add some new information.

Trail Boss can be used in virtually any calibre.  Please refer to this link to the reloading information provided by the distributor.

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/trail-boss-reduced-loads-r_p.pdf

For example I developed a load for the 8mm Mauser (7.96x57).  this is a 1944 BRNO (DOT) M98 all matching numbers with original barrel.  Start was 12 grains and I maxed at 16.  Bullet was a .326 cast gas checked Lee 175 grain (both mold and sizer enlarged to give this diameter).  Consistency was excellent with 12 grains giving 1288-1294 FPS and 16, 1523-1535. Five shots per load.  Best load was 15 grains with 1499-1501 FPS.  12 grains left a lot of soot on neck of case and clearly was too low a pressure to expand the brass for a nice tight seal.  Brass is reformed 270Win and necks may be a bit thick.

The only caution with Trail Boss and this must be noted is do not to compress the powder.  It has been reliably reported that this causes erratic pressures.

I hope this helps.
mariner76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariner76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 5:49pm
Thank you all for the info
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by mariner76 mariner76 wrote:

Thank you all for the info

You are most welcome.  Since posting I have established a starting and maximum load for the 303B based upon FL sized brass (Remington).  Start is 10.5 grains and maximum is 15 grains.  A run through Quickload for a 180 grain bullet gives 18879psi and 30644psi respectfully, well below maximum for the 303B.  Velocity is predicted at around 1200 and 1470 fps out of a 22.25 inch barrel but my experience is to expect 20-60 fps less than predicted.  For example the predicted velocity for 14 grains of Trail Boss in my 8mm Mauser was around 1450 fps.  I actually got 1420 fps as an average for 5 shots.  Just to complete the picture, 15 grains in the 303B at the predicted velocity in a rifle sighted in at 100 yard should give 1.5 inches high at 50 yards and 2.9 inches low at 125.  With a regular lead bullet that should be a nice light recoiling load for small animals or plinking.
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 7:05pm
So I finally got out to the range today.  Results with Trail Boss at both 10.5 and 15 were disappointing.  Velocities were very consistent with 10.5 running from 1143 fps to 1147.  At 15 grains they ran from 1219 to 1237.  This is significantly below predicted.  It was hovering around freezing and TB is temperature sensitive.  Accuracy at 50 meters was 2 to 2.5 inch groups.  I then moved up to Varget at mid jacketed levels 38 - 38.5 grains.  Velocity spread was over 100 fps for each loading and accuracy about the same as the Trail Boss.  I had some 39 grain loads with me but the top 38.5 shot was just over 2200 fps.  My experience is that definitely is pushing the envelope for gas checked cast   I suspected the bullet was the problem but when I got home and was cleaning the rifle I discovered the butt stock screw has loosened so I am not so sure now.  I also learned that I need to move to a longer eye relief scope and add some length to the length of pull.  Got some nasty abrasions on my nose from the scope cover when shooting semi-prone.

The day wasn't a complete loss however.  I finished load development for my 6.6x55 Swedish M96 Mauser.  It put five 139 grain PRVI FMJBT bullets into a nickle sized cloverleaf, again at 50 meters.  That is off of a shooting bag, 2x7x40 long eye relief scope.  Powder was 43.2 grains of HV100.  My previous best was with 43.0 so that little bit of extra powder found the sweet spot.  Highest velocity was 2653 fps.  Incredible for a military rifle made in 1905. 
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 9:53am
This morning I finished my evaluation of the .303B  brass from this range trip.  The brass was FL sized and trimmed to 2.222. At mid-point of case the diameter was .425.  After firing the brass expanded to a very consistent .429 (+/- .0005).  (I use a flat surface to raise the calipers to get a measurement on each case at the same location.) The case length on all fired cases regardless of powder or charge shrunk by up to .006.   Since I intend to neck size these cases, it will be interesting to see what happens lengthwise next firing.  I will be using Varget again but at jacketed loads and Speer Hot Core SPRN 180's.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 3:27pm
That exactly duplicates my tests it gets fatter, but shorter.Thumbs Up
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic