Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snider left hand 8 guage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8bore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snider left hand 8 guage
    Posted: July 05 2016 at 5:36am
Hi there, we are new to this forum and are wanting to find out any information about a Snider with a left hand action in 8 gauge. It has British Ordanance mark along with HMS stamp behind the tang, Sold out of Service mark and anchor stamps on barrel, action, lock and stock. If there is anyone who can help identify it, that would be great. The only anchor mark we can find on the internet pertains to the Civil War America, and that is a different anchor to the one on this gun.
Thanks ahead, I cannot seem to find where to add photos, but they are available.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2016 at 5:52am
he!!o and welcome  8-bore. 

We do need pictures of this!
If you PM me, I will send you my email and you can send pics  for me to post if you can't get it sorted.
Cheers,

Richard.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2016 at 6:52am
It SOUNDS like it was used as an Breeches rope t**ser for the Royal Navy.

(2 Ships side by each. To transfer goods & people you would have to tether together. The initial ball of rope being shot over by large bore gun. Ropes then pulled across.)
Loose wimmen tightened here
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2016 at 6:53am
Ok..censored..how bout THROWER?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2016 at 10:58am
or To$$erEvil Smile
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
8bore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8bore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2016 at 1:16pm
Hi all, we had looked at it being a line throwing gun, we discussed that with the people in England at the National Museum Royal Navy, but they still could not figure out why it would be left handed and also why they would use a massive 8 gauge for it, there is also no rope 'holding ring' on the side of the stock for the purpose of throwing the rope. They also have all the records for their rope throwers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 7:23am
Here is the Snider,  Very clean and a bit of a mystery at present!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 7:33am
What we need Lou, are clearer photos of the proofs.
I can't tell for sure if the one mark is the Birmingham provisional proof or the earlier definitive proof.
BO marks are a bit suspect in my view!

More pictures;

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 7:39am
Last ones;

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 2:55pm
What I don't understand with this one, is the apparent crowned BP which is the Birmingham Provincial Proof under the 1954 Rules of Proof, along with the post 1813 and up to 1904 Birmingham view mark.

If you can supply us with close ups of all these marks Lou, it would help a lot.

It appears a very well made piece.
The B of O stamp has to be spurious, as the Board of Ordnance ceased to exist in 1855.

Can you show us the buttplate tang as well please, Lou?

It Is a mystery at present!

Richard.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 3:14pm
Converted military rifle?
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 5:43pm
Too big and left-handed Paddy.

Some Alexander Henry military arms came out with left -hand locks, but don't know of any Sniders.  Commercial proofs as well, but one proof we need to see clearer.

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 6:47pm
Just sayin..I've seen pics of LEE ENFIELDS with left hand ops.(combat/dessert).
I found that odd..folks said I had looked at a reversal.
The late Bob Camp (BME, R/SgtM Red Devils) told me there was a few lads he knew that were left hand equipped.
I have never seen in person an actual left hand action L/E.
So..That leads me to believe that there may have been an "specialty shop" operation in the L/E world
8bore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8bore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 10:44pm
With the demise of the Board in 1855, the War Department and today's Ministry of Defence continued to use the mark.

This is what we found out about for the BO marks, so yes the Board ceased in 1855 but the mark continued with the War Department.

We will use chalk to highlight them better in the photos for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 6:44am
8 Bore,

Thanks for that, re. the B of O mark!

Here are close-ups of the proofs etc.
I think the '6' is a '9', as a 9-bore barrel will be an 8-bore chamber if you know what I mean!
(Like many 12 -bores are actually 13-bore barrels.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 6:51am
Has the 1813 -1904 Birmingham commercial proofs, but also the "BP" which I believe was used from 1925 to 1981, and why is a bit unclear at present.
No inspection marks on the metalwork, only some on the wood.  Lock seems commercial as well.  Seems a gun made by the trade for whatever purpose.
Very well made, but the wood has me foxed!
How long is the barrel, Lou?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic