Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7.62x54R salvage for 303 reloads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaneo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7.62x54R salvage for 303 reloads
    Posted: August 03 2016 at 5:24pm
Gday.
A bloke on YouTube has been buying cheap surplus 7.62x54R and using the projectiles and powder to reload his 303 brass.

Has anyone else ever done this?
What problems can you see if any?
Does it work out much cheaper?

his video is here: https://youtu.be/JxWLbVn4RAk

Cheers

Shane
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 8:46pm
the 7.62 bullet is a bit small for the 303 i think , and i think the 54r is short for the 57 length cartridge , but im not one in the know here 
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 9:51pm
If the powder charge is reduced (The Russian round holds more powder than the 303) the only issue, s Shamu said, is the bullet diameter being on the small side. Typically 7.62x54R Russian is .310"  and accuracy might suffer depending on the bore of the rifle.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 11:02pm
I have a Para version Dragunov in the cabinet, got it in the factory wrap for my lads 18th birthday. Some of the guys on here will remember we had a right job setting up the ammo, After slugging the bore it came out at 310.5 so we now use 311 Sierra spitzers or if we are lucky enough to get Hornady they turn in at 310.5. I can give you the VhitaVouri load data we use for it, 150 grain Sierra pro hunter with 48 grains of V V N135 and a coal of 73mm. Way over the pressures for a 303 but deadly accurate in the Dragunov. I would be very very careful about using reclaimed powder in an enfield though.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 5:38am
The bullet dia. for the 7.62 X54R went up and down a bit, At one time it was .310 -.311, later some rifles were produced with  .308 bores and ammo corresponded, then went back up to that .310 -.312 again.

Normally the bullets work but using the powder would be a bit dodgy unless worked up very carefully , as Tony suggests.

The cheap Russian ammo here is $8 -9.00 (Canaajan)a box of 20............so the bullets come out at .40 -.45c each, and don't see much saving at that, plus you have to knock them out of the cases.

I think it would bother me breaking up perfectly serviceable ammo.  :-)

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 7:06am
I have a 900 round case of 7.62x54r that got wet when Katrina took part of my roof off the guns shop !!!  I thought it was sealed , but a few years after I found out it was not !!!  LOL!!  So I pull the projectiles when there is nothing else to do in the shop !!!!
I also cast a .314 dia. projectile that I use in reloading for the Enfield, Mosin , my .308 ... Now before going off on me ... I pass the cast round through a Lubrisizer for each caliber ..... So no need to buy a different mold for the 308 round !!!

But as for the 7.62x54r... I have not done much reloading for it yet since I have a lot of surplus ammo for it !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 7:52am
I thnk the $10 a box russian  steel cased  has had another effect  look at what Midway is selling:
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 9:54am
Originally posted by SW28fan SW28fan wrote:

I thnk the $10 a box russian  steel cased  has had another effect  look at what Midway is selling:

There should be a good bit of MilSurp .303 out there right now since SAMCO went bankrupt just a couple of months ago ... Im seeing places like Old Western Scrounger selling a lot of the stock from them lately ...and they have not had anything new ammo wise in the past 4 years other than the British .410 she!!s !!!
Also seen Ohio Ordinance with some ammo and other stuff from SAMCO ....
If Y'all have the money and the want for it, better get it now ...this may be the last of the MilSurp for our beloved Enfields !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Zormpas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zormpas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by SW28fan SW28fan wrote:

Yep - I bought some of the POF a couple of months ago, BEFORE the price drop!! c'est la vie!

I received 251 rds - that extra round may be a life saver someday! The ammo can, which MidWay represented as a "grade 3" was more like on the high side of grade 2 - a very nice surprise.
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic