Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Infamous Ross

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 10:45pm
The .280 Ross: another fine rifle.  Britrifles, if we were in the same country, I'd take you up on your offer.

Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 2:52am
During my time as a Firearms Dealer I had a .280 Ross by Gibbs. A beautiful rifle but I daren't shhot it.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 1:32pm
My latest Legion magazine also makes a brief mention of the Ross, once again. (The statement also mentions the poor quality of the clothes & webbing):

" ..men of the 1st contingent waited for uniforms to arrive. Hurriedly made by contractors chosen by Minister of Militia Sam Hughes, the uniforms had their flaws. Boots seemed to be made of paper & would fall apart in England's wet weather.
..The load bearing equipment - designed by J.W.Oliver, was an awkward, uncomfortable jumble of belts & pouches. British webbing soon replaced it.
...Weapons assigned to Canadians at the start of the war were less than perfect. The soldiers received the ROSS rifle - a fine target shooting weapon but one that jammed in field conditions. The Lee - Enfield replaced it."
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 9:35pm
i wish i had bought the ross rifles i had options on back in the day , i only hesitated because of the rumers of difficulty disassemble/reassemble and dangers when not assembled correctly , i saw it as a safety issue i might not wish to own , i kick myself for not being a bit more daring at the time , 

i am sorry if some of you have limits on what you get to shoot and when , this always upsets me because i believe we are all capable and able to pick and choose the times and conditions when it is safe , i also believe we are equally safe in our ownership , which is none of any of our governments pervue to control , at least not mine - we have a constitution that guarantees my "GOD GIVEN RIGHTS" 

i shoot all my rifles and handguns , these days im going to shoot them more , ill be darned if anyone will take my second amendment rights away from me till the brass is cold as well as my hand , 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 4:36am
I suspect the infamous status of the Ross grew over time. There are lots of things that will kill you if you don’t follow directions. My Dad shot his Ross rifles, and if he still had them, I’d be shooting them, after I verified the bolt was assembled correctly.

I remember as a kid being fascinated how the bolt turned with a straight push/pull of the bolt handle. Must have been a fast action to work. I didn’t get real interested in shooting until he has sold over half of his collection. I shudder thinking about the ridiculous low prices he sold those rifles for in the early 1990s, and how they slipped thru my fingers.
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 12:03pm
Part of the Ross problem was the ammunition.  Even when clean the rather broad variation in case sizes in the .303 rounds being produced by the millions worked okay in the generous chamber of the LE but too often just jammed in the Ross.  Not having the caming action of a turn bolt didn't help.  I have a K31 which is also straight pull and experienced the problem when using some neck sized rounds from a Model 11 rifle.

With respect to the bolt in the face issue.  Watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaSui_UqDX8
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 12:18pm
To be honest, I've been unfair to the Ross. It was one of those weapons that was a head of it's time, and design features (plus mass produced ammo) meant it didn't have a chance in WW1 among the muck, mire, and horror of trench warfare. It was shelved because of the robust, dependable Lee Enfield. After the war, it was so overshadowed as a battle rifle, despite it's accuracy, it went the way of the dinosaurs. I also agree with the statement of if a knowledgeable person on this weapon assembles it, it would be a safe rifle. Again, not ideal for combat situations. But as a Canadian, I can respect the Ross.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 12:50pm
Honkytonk, I think that’s a fair and objective assessment.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 1:37pm
It is almost an Hour long but really covers the Ross and it problems:

Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 4:34pm
I have a US marked Ross rifle and bayonet.

Still shoot it with light hand loads.

What a rifle.

My Grandfather was issued one in 1914 for the trip over the pond.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Tonsper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonsper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 12:27pm
Here is a paraphrased excerpt from "The Ross Rifle Story"

Mark II Rosses were withdrawn from front line use in 1916. Suddenly saddled with a glut of non-combat rifles, Canada cast about for buyers." The purchase of 20,000 Mark II rifles was negotiated by the State of New York. The US War Dept. later stepped in and completed the purchase.  The rifles, ammunition, and parts were shipped from Canada on November 17, 1917. The War Dept sold at cost to New York for defence purposes 10,000 rifles and the Mark VI ammunition. Of the remaining rifles, 5,000 went to Camp Sherman, Ohio, and 5,000 to Camp Devens, Massachusetts, for recruit training. After the war, they were declared surplus and sold through the NRA to members for $5.00, later $3.50, each. This was discontinued in 1926 due to complaints from the new owners." There is no evidence that any of these rifles went overseas during WWI"

"LC" was the mark applied when the chamber was re-worked to open it, allowing for the use of the looser tolerances of wartime ammunition. The serial number was not applied to the metal but to the right side of the rear of the buttstock. 

I have a Ross Mark 2 - 3* that is marked "31 Bn CEF" which is now a Canadian Army Regiment called the South Alberta Light Horse Regiment, SALH or "Sally Horse". It was given to me by a friend of my father who had no sons that he could trust with a rifle. The rifle was bought by the friend's father during the late 1920s and used to get many deer and antelope for the family table. I have restored it to what it might have looked like a hundred years ago and make a point of firing it at least once a year.
Waiting for first light. Shook hands with the devil.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 2:46pm
"CEF" ?? You sure it wasn't Canadian Expeditionary Force??

I ask, because I know - first hand from veterans, that they went over to Europe with the Ross.

There is much documentation, as well..about the shortcomings of the Ross in battlefield conditions (In fact lawsuits were launched).
Later on, the Ross was turned in upon arrival in Blighty, & proper Enfields issued.
As well, the woefully inadequate Canadian web gear was burned - pretty much dockside - upon arrival.
Tonsper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonsper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 5:44pm
CEF is the accepted abbreviation for Canadian Expeditionary Force and was used when there was not room for or desire to stamp the very long name on a rifle butt.

The 31st Battalion (31 BN) was later renamed the South Alberta Light Horse Regiment and fought in the next world was an an armoured reconnaissance regiment. It still exists today as a Reserve Army regiment out of Fort Steele, Edmonton, Alberta.
Tonsper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonsper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 6:00pm
RE - I ask, because I know - first hand from veterans, that they went over to Europe with the Ross.

Hoadie,  you are correct in your statement but I was talking about the Ross MkII rifles sold to the US near the end of WWI. These 20,000 rifles were apparently from stocks used only on this side of the pond. Other variants of the Ross MkII and MkIII had other histories. Some undoubtedly were used in the mud often found in Europe.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2019 at 2:30pm
I understand some were pawned off on the Portugese navy?
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2019 at 8:30am
My Papere carried a Ross when he  shipped out in 1914.

Used it to shoot the Huns till the mud kept jamming it.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic