FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Head space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head space
    Posted: February 27 2007 at 11:01am
The Bolt Tool looks just like the Sergeant's tool, used in Civil War stuff.Damn-I lent mine out & didn't get it back. Sargents tools are readily available fer 5 or 10 bucks
I'll hafta get some dimensions on 'em
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 9:44am
Puts his Helmut & Flack Vest on ............Now I can see where the Chap writing that artical is comming from ......BUT! Whilst I have never bothered with Head Space on a MK111 (a I've always felt it was out of my control ) With Mk4 s where it was within my control I've alway been a stickler for checking the head space ! Yes I know that Enfields have large chambers ect ,but I like the thought of being in control of what's going on in a rifle that I'm going to fire ,esp as I  reload !

Hey! CJ no need to appologize ! The ida ofthis forum is to share info like this & throw it in to the pit to be kicked around & pulled to pieces & put back together again ! We all learn from things like this ! More Power to you for doing it !

Dave
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 5:40am
Ranger-  My bad and I stand corrected. And I didn't mean to give credit to Hoadie for the post, I just say the grizzly bear and thought it was him! I will also be interested in what the masters say!  taking me awhile to get this forum!
Ranger-366 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 4:41am
CJRock-

Just for the record I was not endorsing the article, I was just asking the experts of this forum if the article was valid and right on.  It made me feel more comfortable if I decide not to have my headspace checked before I fire it.  Let's hear what the experts say after reading it Confused.
Ranger-366
"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness".

"A vote is like a rifle; Its usefullness depends upon the character of the user".

-Theodore Roosevelt
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 12:42am
Thanks hoadie for that link, it does make a lot of sense.  Like I said I found that graphic on this forum, but is looks like it originated on that post.  And the additional information is comforting.  I was tending to belive that anyway with my rifle because I was so close to the .070.  So I now will buy some ammo and try it out this weekend.  I have a longer bolt head in the mail to me I will also try.

I have a stubborn screw I will have to drill out on the underside of the forearm to remove the wood.  I am currently looking for new wood for it so I can restore it back to original condition.

Thanks all,

whoever said this was addicting will you sponsor me in a enfield's anonymous club?
nomad660 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomad660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 1:13pm
Too bad it was done with a different rifle...

I've checked at Numrich and on Ebay, and may just buy a bolt body and swap.  I would like to make sure it is still a Savage made, however.   At least keep that consistant.  I may still call customer service at Century, first.  They have been helpful in the past.  What the heck, no harm in asking.
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 9:37am
Nomad660, someone at some time probably matched the bolthead to the bolt, which is why it fits. If it won't go at least vertical, it's a bear to even get the bolt in the rifle.
Allan, closer to .067 is better than larger on the headspace. I think the writer was trying to say that the Enfield is designed to be safe in these circumstances, and Probably nothing bad will happen.  In the example show, if a #3 bolthead or a new bolt wouldn't fix it I'd make it a wall hanger.
ED
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 8:01am
he has certainly a convincing point, even went to the trouble of being excessive with round to prove a point, but ive never heard any one say relax and enjoy whilst shooting a rifle with excessive headspace  , thats the first time ive ever heard someone say dont worry about it. ill wait to hear what the experienced guys on here have to say.

'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
Ranger-366 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 7:14am
I found this post on a the surplus rifle forum and was wondering if TK's post was on target or not.  It sounds pretty convincing to me.  I still have yet to fire my new (as of Christmas) No.4 Mk. 1*.  I find myself going back and forth as to weather or not I am going to have the headspace checked or not, then I found this post.  Now I think I am just going to fire at will (as I am not a reloader as of yet and all the ammo I will be firing are new factory loads Remington etc).  I got it for $ 135- US and don't want to put more money into it if I don't really need to. I respect ya'alls opinions and would like to know what you think as I am green in this area. 

Ranger-366
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 6:55am
wow..that tool looks awesome,saves alot of money making that yourself instead of buying one.
'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 3:21am
Great Work CJ I reckon that's the best example we've had yet it really simplifies the whole thing ! Good work Mate

Dave
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 3:06am
I found this old graphic to help explain.  I found it on this site, so its a repost, but I thought it was worth viewing again for those that are learning about headspace. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 1:56am
Yes now only if I could make one i would be doing great!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 1:12am
Outstanding!  Thankyou to Both ED & CJ for that info !

Dave
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 10:14pm
Here are the images Ed Sent me, Sorry for the delay, I was out this weekend.

This will help you make a Bolt Tool out of a 6mm 1/4 inch drive socket.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 4:23pm
Yeah puting it simpley  The #1 Mk111 had one size Bolt head . When they redesigned the Mk4 they allowed for bold head replacement for wear & tear (hense the different sizes ) This made the Amourers life somewhat easier . Be it BSA ,Savage or Ishie the bolt heads were interchangeable !

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic