Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bandoliers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bandoliers
    Posted: March 14 2018 at 3:37am
I recently purchased two new surplus bandoliers with "chargers" and it caused me to wonder how much ammunition a battle-ready solder carried on this person. I Googled it but could not find a specific answer, any of you guys know?

Also, these bandoliers are Australian surplus with a 1967 date so I figure that means that the SMLE of some sort was still in service with that country on that date.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 4:55am
Green fabric with a press stud closure & brass circular strap buckles?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Ranch Dog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 5:09am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Green fabric with a press stud closure & brass circular strap buckles?

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 12:03pm
In the 1944 British bandoliers; such as the one below, would hold 2 charger clips in each pocket. So total of 50 rounds. This one was part of a weapons drop to French Resistance. These are thin cotton with a simple wire hook to close. The hook will bend open when the cover is pulled to access the clips. I believe these were seen as single use bandoliers for the invasion. 

These Senegalise troops were issued with British equipment during the liberation of France. They have the same bandolier type as above. 
I also have one British webbing 3 pocket design that would be 30 rounds. I believe these would be worn as a pair. No photo for that one at present.

as a side note. I think the charger clips you have appear to be the very stiff type. I Hope I'm wrong! But I bought a pack of those; which have 5 holes each side instead of the 4 hole spring steel design. They are horrid. 
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 1:46pm
Those green ones are for 7.62 in the L1A1 Ess Ell Arr!
That would explain the date.
The chargers are for a .303 though.
You can just get 2 chargers of the longer, fatter .303 in the pockets, but it has to be one up & one down to fit.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 2:04pm
"I also have one British webbing 3 pocket design that would be 30 rounds. I believe these would be worn as a pair. No photo for that one at present."

Yes one on the right suspender & one on the left. The bottom clips to the web belt & the top to the suspender end. They were usually used for things where you wouldn't need the utility pouches (guard duty & so on) so you wouldn't be carrying Bren magazines, Dr Mills #36 wonder pills (Cures what ails you) Confused & so on.

This is an RAF Pat 25 kit, but the army had the same thing, just in khaki

There was also a 5 pocket version.
http://www.enochsantiquearms.com/uploads/4/3/6/2/43623029/s623410092336136139_p48_i3_w640.jpeg
The bandoliers you have  are regular issue, they were always considered disposable. the large "Universal" pouches held some .303, but a lot of it was support for the Bren in the squad, so if you wanted extra ammo you'd scrounge a couple of (disposable) bandoliers to fling over your other kit & use them first, keeping the smaller supply in the universal pouches in reserve.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 2:12pm
IIRC they do not work with the Pat 37 web belt.
Ranch Dog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 2:12pm
I figured they were for the 7.62x51 given the markings but didn't understand the "MKI". Wasn't sure if it was some lineage of the Ishapore.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 2:19pm
Possibly the Mk1 bandolier! Us Brits had mark #'s for everything! look over things like sites on a rifle & you can have Mk1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 on just the rear sight! All on a No4 Mk1 rifle!
You could fire Mk7 ammo from a Mk1 or a Mk2 with a Mk5 rearsight!
(It kept the dreaded Fuzzy-Wuzzies guessing)
Dead
Ranch Dog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 3:39pm
Haah! They definitely liked their MK's!

I have the four hole chargers but they haven't worked very well, I think they are just worn. Cases are loose, yet they scratch the cases, and the fit to the receiver is not very solid. I wanted to store 100 rounds of ammo that was ready to go so that's why behind the two bandoliers. I also have three fitted magazines for my scout rifle. 

I just tried the five hole, They fit the receiver better and fed the five rounds without issue or scratching the cases, very slick. Two loaded chargers fit in the pouches so I'm good to go.

So, two bandoliers. 100 rounds into combat don't sound like much even for WWII.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 3:40pm
it can get quite confusing but it make things very interesting when researching your rifle , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 6:02pm

This is my bandolier,a 1942 Evagrip.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 11:30pm
i think there are several manufacturers for the charger clips. I have WWII 4 hole clips and they work perfectly. But the later 5 hole ones that I got have a vice like grip; scratch the cases when trying to load and are just rubbish.
If you've found some that work that's great. ¨Probably different manufacture.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 2:59am
The 5 hole ones are typically Pakistani
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 3:03am
Chargers Mks. I - IV.  The five - hole Mk.III was introduced 15.02.1916 and the four - hole Mk.IV 20.10.1917. "It differs from the Mk.III in having four holes instead of five, which leaves more room for the spring in the lug end, & makes it less stiff" (L.O.C. 19786)

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 4:42am
They look like they've been painted white or silver? Can you bead blast them to get rid of it?

Its also the finish. I don't know if it was a refurbish or just a change, but the ones with the rough parkerised finish (bottom one) are the pits.

I had mine bead blasted to get rid of the stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic