Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SMLE WW1 bayonet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SMLE WW1 bayonet
    Posted: March 18 2018 at 5:36am
Hi,
Now I am determined to get a WW1 SMLE from 1915/16 I would like to be looking out for the correct bayonet. Being new to this whole game, excuse me if the answer is obvious, but are these generally date stamped with or without regimental markings?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 6:14am
IIRC its maker & date.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 7:31am
I may as well just email you. Lol. You seem to answer my every post.
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 7:37am
I have been offered this but there is no point if it is not contemporary to the SMLE I am after.

WW1 British 1907 Pattern sword bayonet and leather scabbard with pre-1915 lack of oiling hole to pommel.  Overall length 22.1/2in., blade length 17in. Blade to shiny grey patina signs of sharpening and also with many inspection marks, stamped with Kings crown, 1907 and the rare maker "Chapman".  Push buttton muzzle release works well with cross-guard and pommel to dark grey/ brown patina but without oil hole to pommel indicating pre-1915 manufacture.  The wooden grips are complete and in good condition with a stamped inspection mark to one side.  The dark brown leather scabbard has also got traces of a stamped inspection mark, the bottom steel chape and throat chape are to a speckled dark brown/ grey patina, the throat chape with an inspection stamp below the pre 1916 frog button. The whole in very good overall condition commensurate with age
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 12:28pm
Being retired I just lurk here waiting for prey!
Hug

Bayonets aren't really my strong point (excuse the pun).
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 4:27am
Sounds like a good bayonet to go for, if the price is right.
As with many items of kit; bayonet's issued would not necessarily be the same date as the rifle; So as long as it's the correct type and era; should be OK.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 8:55am
Wait! "Signs of sharpening"?
Loose wimmen tightened here
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 10:14am

I will post some photos for your perusal and the price is about £195 as it ia Chapman. ALthough, I have no idea whether this prce is right or not.

sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 11:36am
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 12:00pm
At that price I'd want it without the file marks on the blade. Why not look for a cheaper Sanderson or Wilkinson bayonet. They are more common so you'll probably find one in better condition for less money.
This is a Sanderson from 1917.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 12:07pm
Yes, you are probably right. I would really like one dated 1915 and it doesn't need to be a Chapman, but in good nick. The sharpening efforts are a bit of a bodge then?
I need to keep looking, unless someone on this forum has one for sale. Lol
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 4:12pm
first off , yes , its 'correct' for the SMLE you are seeking , the scabbard is also correct for that time , 

second , it actually looks pretty nice if as said above price is fair , 

third , while chapman is one of the early makers , its not all that "rare" , i can give you a rundown of the makers and counts of production , but i would not steer you toward another for 'rarity' unless you had a really special rifle of some sort and were looking to get in deep , that one is a fine example for WWI , 

the four to the right are all P1907 , oldest is the left - 1910 Mole Hookie , then 1915 EFD without clearing hole , then 1917 Chapman with clearing hole , and last 1942 OA with period replacement SLAZ scales , 

the two on the left are a P1888 for the older long lees , this will not fit the SMLE , then P1903 - this one will fit the SMLE but is correct for the earlier mkI series by date era 

sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 2:35pm
Wow. That's some collection you have there. Is that the norm state side?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 3:03pm
i cannot speak for norm , i still have some holes in what i would like to have - i like the idea of getting as close to one of each as possible , but that is most likely out of the question , too many too hard to find and way too little time left iin life , 

these are an assortment of the older ones , the other side of the cabinet had the P1853 , martini , snyder with their bayonets as well as the P1914/M1917s with their bayonets , and my cooey trainer , i lost that photo in photobucket crash , 

i lost my display case photos of the latter no 4s & no 5 as well , separate cabinet , 
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 6:15am
Standard Length Pattern 1907 Bayonets: Manufacturers Markings.

sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 1:09pm
My current older guns are my 1790s Brown Bess with musket and 1880s Snider Enfield, again with bayonet. The LE is just next on my list, followed by a Martini Henry.

Nice photos of the differing bayonet manufacturers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic