Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Would like to make rifles like the Gibbs & GSA's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Would like to make rifles like the Gibbs & GSA's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbikewrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would like to make rifles like the Gibbs & GSA's
    Posted: March 05 2007 at 1:13pm
Well the subject says it all. There are a lot of #1's and #4's out there that are in really rough shape. I am not a professional gunsmith or machinist but I do have the tools, drive, and desire to make those rifles and a few others. 
I don't plan to make a lot of money doing this. I just want to get these old but distinguished rifles back out to be shot and shooting again.
 A handfull of different calibers would be avail. And different stock configurations but no cut down original stocks.
What do you folks here think? Is there a market?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 1:56pm
I defenatly belive there is a market for this sort of thing ! Esp when you see the poor workmanhip of the offerings of the Major Manufactures who are now run by Number crunchers & not Gunsmith /designers !  I have seen a major resurgense in Enfields not only in .303 but 25-303 & convertions to 45-70 & 45-90 ! as well as a few other .303 wildcats !

Dave
Hatchetman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 1:58pm
I might be buying an old 25-303 off a bloke I know, just because it is an Enfield.....

What do you mean calibre overlap, there is difference between a .243 and a 25-303!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Hatchetman Hatchetman wrote:

I might be buying an old 25-303 off a bloke I know, just because it is an Enfield.....

What do you mean calibre overlap, there is difference between a .243 and a 25-303!

The Old .303-25 is a grand round ! It was probarly the most popular & longest surviving Converstion ! I still use mine for work ! It's very much like the .257 Roberts ! Now whilst on Paper the .243 win beats the 25-303 hands down it's when your using bullet in the 85 -100 gn range it comes into it's own !

You've got to remember these converstions started after WW2 when it was virtualy impossible to get the US Cals in Australia ! Our answer was to wildcat the .303  into cals from .22 through to 35 ! .270 being the first ! The only draw back was they had to be loaded back to pressures that were safe in Mk111 actions ! So needless to say by the 60s early 70's when there was ready avalibilty of US rifles & loading componants the .303 convertions went out of fashion ! There were commercial loadings avalible for these rounds for years ! It just became the Old cry of what had served us faithfully for years no longer had the Power of the Modern Rounds Shocked! Simplex still offer many of the dies for these convertion though a lot have disappeared for good (several I can think of are for the better )

Dave
Hatchetman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 5:34pm
This bloke is a "weekend warrior" hunter like me.... but has 10 rifles.

He has a fair bit of brass and I think dies as well so I might see If I can scam them.

Then again it is an enfield so I doubt he will give it up!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic