Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Longbranch Rifle Markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Longbranch Rifle Markings
    Posted: March 30 2018 at 9:37am
Recently purchased an enfield with some interesting markings that I would like to learn about.

so far I have

No 4 Mk I * Longbranch 1943

- All serial numbers seem to match besides the mag

- Magazine has a B stamp ... Lithgow marking?

- Stock has a number 8 with a triangle

- stock has brass buttplate

- 0 on the bolt head

- MK II sights with the broad arrow

please see attached images, I appreciate any assistance

jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 10:09am
FTR marking with an M in the middle

jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 10:10am
jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 10:10am
jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 10:11am
jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 10:11am
jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 10:13am
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 12:47pm
he!!o.
The only image you have is of the serial number. Nothing special there.
The B on the magazine could possibly be a L with a B inside of it denoting a Longbranch stamp. If you could post some more photos besides the one,we could be of better assistance to you.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 2:02pm
Factory Thorough Repair at ROF Maltby.
Possibly rusted bore or chamber (6-point starstar on breech) or its a pair of "broad arrows" facing each other for Sold Out Of Service.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 2:56pm
Bore is pretty clean with no pitting or rust I can see at all; which was one of the main reasons I got it.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 7:06pm
Nice. Really impressed on how you took and posted pics!! Still out of my expertise!😁
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 7:58pm
looks a righteous no4 mkI* to me, built at the height of production , but im missing something the others have seen here , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 8:35am
Perhaps the original bore was rusted & they replaced it with a new one during the FTR?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic