Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leupold Freedom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Freedom
    Posted: May 14 2018 at 4:26pm
My Leupold 1.5x4 straight tube Leupold came in the mail today. Looks nice. I installed it and bore sited it. Going to the range on Wednesday to see what the sniper clone can do at 100yds with a decent optic! I'm going to shoot 180grs.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 6:01pm
When do we get to see the whole rifle?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 7:05pm
When I buy a digital camera, learn how to use it, learn how to split the atom (meaning learning how to post said pictures!) The hardware is in good condition, but with normal wear. I would want to take the rifle apart again and sand then stove black hardware before attempting to upload (download?) Pictures for the site. I want to get it shooting good and find a good load for it. This winter I'll pretty it up!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 7:31pm
Okay
I guess I can wait...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 11:09am
Just got back from the range with my sniper clone. Leupold scope and DAI mount worked flawlessly. What a difference shooting a full wood stock Lee Enfield compared to a Sporter. The extra weight really tames recoil. I was shooting 180gr bullets of unknown (gun sale) origin. Less than satisfactory. Probably 50% had tell tale signs of emminent neck spit/separation if loaded again. Can brass go brittle over time?
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 11:58am
If it's Sellier Bellot it's that brittle when new!! 
You should be able to identify the brass from the head stamps 
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 12:51pm
The majority is CIL. Old, I'm guessing.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 3:07pm
CIL = Canadian Industries Ltd., Montreal, CANADA
Pre 1954 IIRC.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 3:16pm
My mistake. I have two boxes of CIL and eight of Dominion. I got them cheap at a gun show but they may have been reloaded a few times. I wanted to blast thru them to get back into shooting, harvest what brass is good, and reload to my specs. Although I'm now thinking if it's worth shooting. Thoughts?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 3:29pm
Can you guys get the PPU rounds up there?
I've reloaded those before and was able to get about four reloads from them before the cases split.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 3:41pm
Yup we have PPU .303 ammo up here. It's my factory ammo of choice in all 3 weight offerings.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 5:23am
DOMINION??!! Holy snappin sheep dip!! Dominion hasn't bin around since Moses crossed the sea! Haven't even seen empty boxes in the last 25 yrs or so. CIL aint around, either. You find this stuff in a time-warp or something??
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 5:38am
I had a box of "Bellmont" it was DI brass reloaded with 150 Gr SP bullets. It was reloadable & quite nice, no hang-fires.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 6:05am
Dominion and CIL. Got it in a box at our local gun show a couple of years ago. 10 full boxes for $20. No hang fires yet, but as mentioned, so far, probably 25% of total rounds shot out of this lot after shooting have a slpit neck and/or signs of near case separation. Makes me wonder if it's worth reloading the "visual" inspected decent 75% of the spent brass.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 8:18am
To add, I'm hoping the bad ones I've discarded were either reloaded multiply times or shot out of rifles with excessive head spacing. I checked the spent brass with my digital caliper. Between 2.21-2.23.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 9:12am
Sounds like they're done to me. Maybe use them to make up inert action proving dummies?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic