Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reloaded

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reloaded
    Posted: May 26 2018 at 10:45am
Hey people. Just finished leading a bunch of rounds. Made 10 of those CIL 215's to try out in the No5. I used Goosics dimensions but used 37.5 gr of H335. Loaded 10 Sierra Pro Hunter 180's with 38 gr of H4895, and 10 with 39 gr of the same. I'll try those 180's in my Sniper clone and see how she likes them! This is the load I'm working on to shoot out of my No4 Mk1 with the Bishop stock in case I get drawn for elk this fall.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 3:14pm
Oh you're going to feel those 215gr. bad boys in a carbine!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 3:23pm
Yup! Even those 180 kksp's had my thumb knuckle bumping my nose! Buddy couldn't believe how loud the carbine was! If I can get a decent group (4" would be nice) at 50 yds thru battle sites, it will definitely be my "push bush" for T-Rex rifle!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 3:27pm
Shamu, and other members, what did you think of my powder load selection for the 180 Pro Hunters? By the books, maybe 2150-2200 ft/sec. I've always only loaded and shot 150 Pro Hunter. I have shot 180's that somebody else has reloaded.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 3:59pm
4895 is a fine powder for 180 gr loads.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 5:51am
Yes, 4895 one of the best.   (Prefer Norma #202 if it can be found)

My No 5 would shoot into about 2 1/2" -3"  at 100 yards when I had it.  And, it had wonky rifling!
Too loud though, but kick was tamer with a regular No 4 buttstock fitted.

Does it cycle well with the 215 gr?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 6:05am
I haven't shot the 215's yet, although I did shoot quite a few 180 round nose factory kksps and they cycled well. I measured the factory oal of the kksps. It was 2.94". That was real close to what Goosic had loaded his 215 Wooleighs at so that's what I went with.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 7:57am
I've always wanted to load up a few 215 Gr Hard cast to load with B/P for sh*tes & giggles. You can't overload B/P in a .303 so you just jam the case full with a long drop tube & even vibrate it a bit.
The original load was a compressed pellet which you can't match with grained powder, but I did briefly think about trying 777 B/P Substitute as its about 15% more oomph per grain by volume.
I think it'd look great in the SMLE!

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 8:08am
This is new to me. You load a regular primed 303 brass with black powder and then top it off with a cast bullet?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 9:19am
YUP! It was originally a B/P round!

They had a molded pellet of black powder which was dropped into the primed case, which was cylindrical at the rime. Then the case was necked down & tapered on the primed, loaded case! (Imagine "H&S" allowing that nowadays)!

IIRC it puttered out at about 1850 FPS.

With modern powders the air spaces reduce the usable amount of powder which you can't overload anyway.

So much fun if you don't tell the shooter beforehand!
Evil Smile
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 3:27pm
Shamu.Still a little unsure. I still use Goex(BP) in my 25year old Thompson Centre Renegade. Left hand model. Shot a ton of deer with it. I have a Ruger BP cap and ball pistol. I need to fill the "void" between powder and ball with an inert medium. Corn meal. In a .303 brass cartridge, would the BP load be compressed, having no airspace once said 215 gr lead bullet is loaded?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 6:31am
Yes. You can't over-load a .303 with black powder no matter how hard you try.
I fill the cast to the top of the mouth, then shake rattle & roll till it drops back to the base of the neck. Then seat to that depth.
B/P has about 1/10th the "brissance" (power) of modern smokeless.
Stick the case mouth  into a cake of soap, 1/2 turn & pull out makes for a great blank as well.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 12:55pm
Sham,

When I tried black, my rifle shot much lower.  As you say, you can cram in all in you can, and it'll still be much less than that original compressed pellet.

I don't think it was Designed for black, the .303, but they had trouble developing a suitable smokeless so went back to black whilst they figured it out..
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 1:06pm
Like my TC Renegade, which I still use real BP, you'd want to ensure a go bore cleaning. Very corrosive once shot.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 3:35pm
Pukka:
Yep, its more like a rainbow than the sights are calibrated for, but its fun!

I've found B/P cleaning easier than corrosive by miles!
My 1858 NMA & My Hawken carbine are both done faster than my  Enfields!

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 4:14pm
Nice package!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic