Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whitetail hunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whitetail hunting
    Posted: August 02 2018 at 5:27am
Does any member hunt whitetail deer using 180 gr bullets? I've always shot 150's out of my Enfield for them, but getting back into reloading (and shooting) and seeing that my rifles like 180's, I'm thinking about strictly loading 180's for all four of my rifles. Thoughts?
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 9:02am
180's should do just fine for hunting white tailed deer. Typically, where I hunt, most shots are under 200 yards and 180's work well for that range with plenty of knock down power for a clean ethical harvest. I hunt white tailed deer in the Grand Forks area of BC.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 10:19am
I use 150 on deer, 180 on moose. Then again, I use factory loads (mostly PPU)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 3:27pm
Thanks guys. Although I've harvested many deer with the 150's, and they shoot very well, I was thinking of simplifying reloading. Winter project...
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 5:56pm
I hunt in thicker bush. But Moose tend to be a little more open, with longer shots (as a rule).
I only use 180's because moose are a heavier critter.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Ranch Dog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2018 at 2:26pm
This year I will be using the 180-grain PPU B-125 bullet.
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 3:38pm
I have taken many deer with a Sellier Beloit 174 grain SP cartridge. Shot some with the PPU as well.

Agreed that the rifles like the higher numbers!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 2:13pm
The heavier bullet also has a better chance of hitting the target if it hits a snag or small branch or whatever.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 3:35pm
They all have individual preferences, just like people!
They were all designed & built to use 174 Gr Woodliegh-type (long bearing surface, rearward COG) bullets, but my most accurate one, my No4 Mk2 prefers 150 Gr Hornadies over anything else.
My No1 MkIII ShtLE & My No5 mk1 both want 180 grainers.
Go figure!
Confused
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic