Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear brass disks on No 1 Mark 1***

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear brass disks on No 1 Mark 1***
    Posted: September 15 2018 at 2:00pm
Did all of these rifles have one of these on the stocks? Could anyone comment on the usage of these disks?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 5:50pm
Marking disc for different regiments, battalions. Not all No1 Mk111 Enfields had them and they were phased out in the mid to late twenties. I have a No5Mk1 that originally was used by the British South African Police and it had a marking disc. I saved it and put it in my new stock. BSAP British South African Police, CG Coastal Government, SA South Africa, 2197 rifle serial number.

Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 6:03pm
Thanks.

Do you think all the No 1 Mark 1 had them? The one I got recently does not.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 6:59pm
yes - they were used for a finite period of time mostly in the first world war , there were markings on buttstocks , the buttplates and on the backstraps of revolves used as well before that and during that period , it was determined that they gave too much information so discontinued , 

the weedon refurb of the P14s plugged them , they were removed and plugged on the no1s during the 20s & 30s ---there might have been a few real early no4s , more likely the mkV and mkVi trials that had them , but in general you are looking at WWI rifles with these , 
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 7:19pm
What a wealth of information on this.

I was researching this online, and couldn’t find much.

When the No1Mark 1 rifles were converted to Mark threes, do you think anew stock would have been part of the conversion as well?

Thanks in advance...
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 7:45pm
not neccessarily , the long lees were shortend lee metford and lee enfield rifles had their stocks cut down and refitted with new bayonet bosses , even the trainers were shortened original stock , as mkI rifles they were not fist tier , the charger bridges added to original stocks.rifles in refurb made the conversions a process , the mkI SMLEs had their own stock , 

the mkIII conversions of the original mkI rifles were upgrades of items like sights for more modern ammo the older versions were modified , the charger bridge modifications were a big step in mkIII conversions and not applied to the mkI as the mkI*** should still have the bolt head mounted charger if original , there were however a ;lot modified further later - refitted with mkIII stocks , 
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 1:32am
Goosic, as a South African I am obviously very interested in South African military markings. As such, I have never heard of a marking associated with "Coastal Government". Where did this information originate?  According to my references "C G"  of this era would be associated with Cape Garrison (Artillery) Also, am I correct in understanding that the disc originally came from a "Jungle Carbine" issued to the B.S.A. Police?  Terry.

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 7:36am
You buy the rifle not the story. The previous owner had stated that it was originally issued to the British South African Police, Coastal Government,South Africa. Sounds solid enough to me and the disc was professionally inlayed into the stock, albeit,on the wrong side. If you have seen this marking before,please enlighten me as to what the markings represent...
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 8:05am
BSAP certainly stands for British South African Police in what was then Southern Rhodesia. I have never before come across the rest of the marking as shown.  Before about 1910 CG would have represented Cape Government and afterwards as part of the Cape Garrison Artillery marking. Whether the BSAP ever used the No.5, I have no idea. I have not come across information indicating an issue in the South African Military Archives.  
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 8:18am
I did some research into whether or not a No5Mk1 was ever used by the British South African Police. I got a big fat NO for an answer. I bought the rifle from a guy here in Arizona. It is a real No5. It had a fake flash hider on it and a marking disc on the wrong side of the stock though. He was very elaborate in describing how it was once owned by the British government and hand picked to be used in the South African Police force. I know marking disc use was phased out in the mid to late twenties,that's all I know...
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 8:28am
I once had a No 5 Mark 1; a very long time ago. Thirty five years ago. I ha mostly forgotten about it as it went south on me.

At the time I heard a story about enfields being “converted” to the Jungle Carbine.

I had the gun for only a short while as I met a fella who wanted it more than I did.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 9:02am
They are not conversions. They are their own line of Enfield rifles. If you ever happen upon a No1 Mk111 that is billed as a Jungle Carbine,that is a definite fake made by Gibbs Rifle Co.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 7:10pm
the no1 would be an immiatation of the aussie no6 , the reasone we all doubt athenticity of these is that there were less than 400 originals made - they are out there but they are well held dear , lots of fakes in this area , 

as to the topic - i have nothing to add so far as i am out of my realm of experience and research in this one 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic