Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New canvas sling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New canvas sling
    Posted: October 05 2018 at 10:14am
Ok. I give up. I received an after market canvas sling for an Enfield. I know I've put them on before but I'm drawing a blank. The brass hoop is pretty much the same size as the steel hoop on the rifle. What am I missing? How does it go thru? (I'm well aware the answer will make me seem like a meathead, but I'm stumped.) Thanking in advance...
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 6:53pm
Put one corner through, then the other, O'wd lad....
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 7:05am
Sometimes one needs to give the brass a little tweak with pliers or a tap with a wee hammer to shape it to fit through if it is brand new.  

During manufacture, if the rivet press is set too tight, it will squish the ferrule a bit and make it wider. Problem found with both new original and especially repro. But an easy fix for the first time fitted.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 5:59pm
just be sure you feed it correctly so the claws face out - away from the wood , about a hands slack at the butt rest is taken up at the forearm , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 7:31am
I slip the buckle in diagonally just enough to let one end clear the swivel then pinch the fabric to pass the rest through.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 10:47am
Sham: Remember, he's from the Prairies...they think different there
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 12:47pm
It's like a magician hoop trick! I was stumped for quite a while!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 6:46am
Ah a "Prarie Rarie" thenStern Smile
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 9:07am
Ah, the prairies! God's country! I've shovelled snow twice since the 3rd of October. Still some laying around! I'd move tomorrow if it wasn't for the winters. (That's sarcasm!!)
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 10:59am
Honky,

Met a bloke from here in Alberta on the left coast; "You don't have to shovel rain" he said.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 2:20pm
Hug
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 7:21pm
 "I'd move tomorrow if it wasn't for the winters. (That's sarcasm!!)" ME TOO , its the grandkids thats keeping us here 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 11:17am
Ok! Prairie boy got the sling installed! I put it on my No5. One brass hook and ferrule was a bugger. Other end wiggled right in as I remember. That's the first time I've ever taken the butt pad sling hook off of a No5. New experience. Thought it was gonna be two screws.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 2:43pm
& it was only one screw, a really, really long 'un!
BWHAHAHaHahaha!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic