Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whitetail today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whitetail today
    Posted: November 16 2018 at 11:12am
Monday was our opening day for rifle season on whitetail. Today is the first day I'll be going out for an evening sit. I'll be taking the cammo'ed Lee Enfield pictured in the post "Winter Project". I've named her "Rescue Gun". (Sorry Hoadie, it just seemed to fit!) I'll be shooting 180 gr Sierra ProHunters with 39 grs H4895 with PPU brass. This is what I sighted this rifle in with and it shot sub 2" MOA. Wish me luck!
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 1:52pm
Good Luck! 

Later 42rocker 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 2:19pm
Best of luck!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 4:49pm
Just got back. Our legal hunting ends at 5:25 (1/2 hr past sunset). Saw lots of does. Saw a real nice buck about 125 yds away angling away from me legging it. Not a high percentage shot (for me, anyways) so I held off. Give it another go this weekend.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 5:56pm
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 6:04pm
Must be a Texas shotgun!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 6:43pm
I can’t stop laughing!  
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 9:09pm
I took the old No 4 Mk 1 Maltby for a walk a few days ago.

Saw a nice buck going into some bush here on the farm.

Went around other side and wandered in thinking we might meet.
In due course a doe crossed a cut -line and could see another deer following.
Sat down on cut line for  a steadier shot.
Buck walked out and as cut-line was grown up with trees, he was only in sight maybe one and  a half seconds.  saw it was a buck,  looked smaller but shot him anyway.
Yes, he was a smaller buck, a 3 point (western count) but heavy and will be good eating. He was fat as well, so some useful deer tallow to render.
Nope, I never hardly ever get at taking photos of deer. I still can, but he's hanging up with his jacket off!
Used some old Dominion 180 gr Bronze point ammo.  Made a bit more of a mess than the 215 gr the Ishapore likes, but as a chest shot not much meat spoiled.

Best,
R.
PS, Bought an elk tag tonight, so dug the Ishapore No 1 Mk 3*  out....
Duster340 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duster340 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 1:16am
Good luck man. I'll be heading to my stand in 2 hours with "Stubs" my old self-bubba'd  17" barrel No4 mk1. Using handloads of 150gr Interlock sp over 41 gr IMR 3031. Been a very reliable combo for putting meat in the freezer. 

Be well, be safe and happy hunting all.
Avid hunter & Fisherman. Love the old Milsurp weapons, reloading and general shooting sports. Also a big time "Gear Head"...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 5:11am
Pukka. What do you do with rendered deer fat? I also head out for elk/moose I three weeks. I'll be taking my dependable No4 Mk1 in a Bishop stock, 3x9 Baush & Lomb shooting the same load 180 gr ProHunters. Buddy was in the area last week and saw lots of tracks in the snow where we have permission. Hopefully no night hunters or poachers disturb the herd before we get a chance! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 5:34am
Fingers crossed for you, Honky!
Deer tallow I use to lube wads for the Snider Enfield, and also patches for when I'm shooting my flintlocks.
I also use it on leather as a dressing and waterproofing.  It's grand stuff!
Also use it on the lower flats of M-loading barrels that stay in the stock most of the time. keeps wet and rust at bay.

Best,
R.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 5:39am
Interesting. How do you render? I have a suet bird feeder for winter birds, and heard a chunk of the back fat is a treat for them!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 12:23pm
You heat it on a low heat, or in water Honks.
Once melted it can be poured off, or if heated in water, it can be lifted off the top of the water when it has set.
Will keep for years.  Yes, a treat for carnivorous chikadees!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 2:36pm
Yeah, its like skimming fat of the top of meat gravy.
Confused
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 3:14pm
Skim fat off gravy? I'm Ukrainian! Stir it in!
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 6:33pm
Good Luck in your hunting. 

Later 42rocker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic