Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SMLE Bayonets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Specwar762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SMLE Bayonets
    Posted: November 23 2018 at 7:41am
Got these from my grandfather when he passed away in 2006 and never did anything with them.  I recently picked them up from my fathers house to do some research on them.

Here are some pictures.

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 4:14am
A nice set of bayonnets you have there.
The one on the left is I believe a Lithgow of Australia.
On the right is JAC which is J.A. Chapman, made in March 1916
I can't make out the one in the middle
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 5:15am
Nice bayonets.  With the MA stamp and dated 1942, the one on the left is also an Australian Lithgow.
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 5:18am
Sorry, the one in the middle.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 12:43pm
Well spotted Terrylee. I did not spot the MA on the middle one.
Are all Lithgow bayonnets stamped upside down compared to the UK made ones? Is it a down under thing?
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 3:17pm
Zed,  I don't think there was any rule concerning the orientation of the markings, though virtually all were the same as the Chapman. The only exceptions of which I am aware were the WW I Lithgow as shown and those produced in South Africa during WW II.  Should you be interested, I can post a photo covering the standard 17" makers' markings. (Actually, I think that I may shown it previously)

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 4:19am
I only have a couple of WWI Sanderson made 1907's; but obviously there are lot of variations for collectors to find. There is a good website for bayonnet identification that I found recently; don't have the link to hand at the moment though.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 6:13pm
thought i posted to this yesterday - but i see it did not take , very nice , and very nice looking scabbords as well , would like to see the studs , almond shaped are early and round are later , 
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 11:26am
Those are very nice.  I,m on the lookout for a 1907 like yours.

EnfieldNo4T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldNo4T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2018 at 11:23pm
Hi guys I'm new to this forum and I'll apologise now if what I'm about to put up is for some reason not in the correct section.
I've recently bought this 1907 ( again apologies if pics fail to upload) with a hooked Quillon it's unit marked to what I believe is the 5th Oxford and Buckinghamshires 
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 6:28am
That is how I would read the unit markings too. Issue date of 1911?
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldNo4T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 6:32am
many thanks for the reply I did try to upload more pics but it would only let me do that one, 
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 7:14am
Cant be 1911 issue date. The bayonet is manufacture dated June 1912!

Very nice to see still with its hooked quillion.

This one must have been hiding.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 8:09pm
agreed - very late to still have its quillon , very nice example tho , 

i read the markings the same as well , but seems something is cancelled as well ? or am i seeing things ? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldNo4T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 12:31am
Could that be the matching rifles number?? Then possibly crossed out and a new one added??
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 6:10pm
more likely a change of service as these were not matched to the rifles , bayonetes were issued seperately as any other bit of kit , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic