Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magazine Cut off - 1907 SMLE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magazine Cut off - 1907 SMLE
    Posted: November 24 2018 at 6:13am
he!!o all,
I am just looking at a supposedly 1907 SMLE Mk111 as per the photo. However, I may be wrong, but I can't quite see it there is a magazine cut off. I thought all pre Mk111* had one but I may be wrong.
I am looking at this as I feel it is a reasonable buy with matching numbers (restamps - what ever that means) and although I know it has not got the sight protectors, with my limited experience, it seems to fit the bill.
I really wanted one from the war years, but guess that if pre war then still may have seen some action in WW1.

The alternative I am looking at is a 1917 non matching Mk111* with original wood.

Decisions! Decisions!

paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 6:56am
Buy both.

Give one to me and one to Hoadie.

You will die a happy man knowing your children are in good homes.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 7:03am
Errr!!! No. But a nice suggestion of an act of kindness.  LOL
Any thoughts on the question though?
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 7:36am
I would buy the 1907 SMLE Mk111.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 8:38am
Based on what exactly? Both the photos are the 1907 one.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 10:02am
I think it has one. The "barrel-shaped thing" just in front of the charger bridge seems to be the "handle" for it?
Here's mine without a cutoff for comparison.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 10:04am
That is what I was thinking but wasn't totally sure, Chaz.
Otherwise it seems a reasonable bet given my comments about possibly seeing service?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 10:09am
"Re-stamps" are parts  originally issued with one serial number, then swapped to a different weapon (Usually fitted & so so) When this is done the old number is "lined out" (strike-through) & the "new" number stamped instead. Fairly common nothing was wasted.
I'm not sure why you think the sight protectors are missing though because I think I can see them as well?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 10:10am
Looks similar to yours I think. Less experienced eyes than your then. Not the best photos but all I have.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 10:15am
Do you mean the "Fingers" are missing (from the wood stock) perhaps?
That is also a common thing.
To me a SMLE looks "incomplete" without them, but many were intentionally removed so its a personal choice, nothing more.
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 10:19am
Yes, sorry that's what I meant. So if the numbers are re stamped, is it a misnomer that the numbers match or is it that then parts would been re stamped and installed at the same time?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 2:16pm
Similar to mine yes, identical, no.
Look here at this bit, it seems to be the handle to pull the disconnect OPEN.

Probably done during a refurbish of some kind at the armory. What they'd do is get a bunch of "broken" stuff to fix. They'd triage into repairable or "Not repairable" distinguished by a "Z" stamp.
Anything condemned would be stripped for usable parts & the rest scrapped. I assume there were "Buckets 'O Parts" or something similar.
Once a new "customer" came in they'd determine what was needed & Root through the bucket Of all those widgets, looking for a spare. Then it would be fitted to the "patient" & if, numbered, struck out & renumbered indicating that this had happened.
In "Moisin Nagant World" It would be called "Force Matched", Censored but those are heretical terms in "Lee Enfield World".
Embarrassed
Its not necessarily a bad thing most of the guns this age are partly or even fully rebuilt, sometimes more than once. But it would effect collectable price downwards.
Has it any "Z" or "FTR" stamps?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 8:33pm
based on the photos posted there is a cutoff ,shows in the second photo clearly , unless i am missing something here you should be good to go here , if i missed something sorry ....
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 12:50am
Thanks Chaz and A Square. On watching documentaries about WW1 recently (like so many other I'll warrant)  it seems hardly conceivable that any managed to stay fully intact without the need for repair. I understand what you say about value of a near intact example, but one with scuffs and scrapes is surely more interesting. If in pristine condition, can it have done anything other than live in an armoury or the like?
Your is always a fantastic example to look at.

I did see an example for sale of one dug up from around the area of Cambrai. Recognizable but you can just  imagine the condition, But what a piece of history.

I am reminded of the caveat I have in a book on rebuilding the SMLE. It states that SMLEs are dangerous. Once you have one, you will want more. Wink
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 6:08am
Having no pics of the other one makes choosing difficult.
I honestly wouldn't call either "matching" from the collector's Point of view though.
Are these dewats or for live fire?
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 11:13am
Here's the 1917 one. Its supposedly has original wood and is cheaper as it doesn't have 'matching numbers. It doesn't look in such good condition.
 Dewat unfortunately. As I think I mentioned, getting a live one will just have to wait until I have time to go and get my shooting FAC. But at least it's a start.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic