Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Competition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Competition
    Posted: December 13 2018 at 6:21am
It seems like there are several expert marksmen on this site. Is there such a range event that pits a Lee Enfield against a period Mauser or Mosin Nagant? That would be interesting!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2018 at 6:31am
There are several places doing that, there's actually a class for original condition MilSurps.
Google for "vintage military rifle matches" & you'll find a bunch of local ones.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2018 at 8:54am
Over the last 3 years, my club has held an event at Bisley to commemorate the live of those who served their country (that includes both sides of the conflict) in the First World war. To be eligible all rifles must be of a type used either in the particular battle, in 2016 we commemorated the Somme and in 2017 it was Passchendaele and this year all of the conflict.

Rifles used were Lee Enfields (SMLE, Long Lee and Lee Enfields) Pattern 14 Mosin Nagants, Various Mauser This year we added Pattern 17, Springfield, 7mm & 8mm Remington Rolling Blocks .

I am delighted to inform you that each year the winner has been an Enfield SMLE.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2018 at 9:32am
When I was re-enacting we hosted an event every year outside of Rochester N.Y. @ Genessee Village. At stake was a keg of beer for your unit. The 22nd Va G Coy (my unit) vs 140th N.Y.
After the "village" closed we would hold a shooting competition. Military arms only. No scopes, no autos, no modifications, rifles only. We would start with our civil war muskets. (I can't hit nowt with my '53 Enfield). Toward the end we would be awfully close in score & it always came down to a "shoot -out". My Vimy Vet vs (usually) a 1903 Springfield.
I must say the free beer was a good thing on a hot summer night.
When the 3rd year came round they asked if "the as*ho7le with that stupid British rifle was coming to compete again?"
Sadly, I didn't make it that year..& the 22nd won anyway!
Loose wimmen tightened here
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2018 at 6:31pm
I run 3 or 4 CMP Vintage Rifle matches a Year total hoot.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2018 at 7:11pm
There are exactly 0 CMP clubs in Phoenix.  My shooting range facilitates  Long Range shoots hosted by Macmillan and Berger. (Macmillans main shop is ten miles from the shooting range.) SASS competition,and youth and seniors programs.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2018 at 7:23am
Honkeytonk, in the US, the Civilian Marksmanship Program runs the Vintage Military Rifle Match for as issued military bolt rifles, excluding the M1903 Springfield which has its own CMP Match event.  Local clubs sponsor these matches as well as CMP operated ranges.  

Each year, the National Matches in Camp Perry include the VMR National Match and the results are posted online with the rifle type fired by the competitor.   All the common military bolt action service rifles are represented at these matches.  In 2018, there was 358 shooters and the winer was shooting a M1917 Enfield.  You will see numerous Lee Enfields but are usually the minority of the rifles seen.  That’s not because LEs are not as accurate as others, they are just not as well known or as available as other military rifles in the US. 

Any military bolt rifle in good condition has the ability to win these matches, it’s more about the skill of the shooter than the type of rifle.  

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2018 at 8:18pm
I will have you know I won a Local Vintage Military Rifle match with a No4 Mk1 Longbranch  (That is correct a no bloody * Longbranch)  We also had a Gas Trap Garand shoot in the Garand Match during that event.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 4:50am
These CMP VMR matches are a lot fun, I encourage any members here in the US to participate.  At the Talladega 600 VMR Match last weekend, there was a shooter with a No. 4 Mk2 who travelled all the way from the UK to participate, he may be a member of this forum, I didn’t think to ask him.

I shot my LB No. 4 Mk 1/3 at the match, Victor Betzold beat me out by one point shooting a M1917.  I messed up in the rapids not holding left to correct for the wind.  This is the first time I’ve had any noticeable wind drift at 200 yards.

A lot of fun and a great way to improve your shooting skills.  

Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 5:01am
Sounds like i should go to one!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

There are exactly 0 CMP clubs in Phoenix.  My shooting range facilitates  Long Range shoots hosted by Macmillan and Berger. (Macmillans main shop is ten miles from the shooting range.) SASS competition,and youth and seniors programs.

Gossic, looks like the CMP hosts the Games Matches (JCG, VMR, Springfield and Vintage Sniper) at the Ben Avery Range in Phoenix.  

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 5:12pm
I will ask again then. The range master had stated  that they did not have any type of CMP's. Do you have a contact list and number of someone I can call to confirm this? I would really like to try my hand at this. The rifles are definitely capable of getting  the bullets down range and onto the targets. The CMP website gave me a big fat zero as well,even after I punched in Ben Avery in the search bar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 7:58pm
Try this Goosic,

This is one of the links I found advertising CMP Matches at the Ben Avery Range.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 8:16pm
I warn you guys now, this gets very addictive.  Since I started competing in the CMP Games Matches about 3 years ago, my round count is now about 150 per week.  

Gossic, if you enter the Vintage Sniper Match with that Savage Faux No. 4(T), I bet you will set a new Match Record.  From what I saw, that rifle will shoot a score of 400 with a very high X count, possibly even a 400-40x.  The 600 yard X Ring is 1 MOA,  and you have shot smaller groups than that.  The current National Match Record score is 398-23x.  Someone may have beaten that at club matches, don’t know. 

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 9:30pm
They have no matches all next year. It starts back up in 2020-22,the last three weeks of March.  The one thing I noticed from the pictures from the last competition was the range they used. The range I use as does the rest of the public, is the main range. It has the standard 100 yard and in the center of the range it goes to 200 yards. The CMP competition  used the high powered rifle range  directly to the east of the main range. It only goes to 100 yards. All the shooters are standing with their rifles resting on a shoulder high pole. I saw no pictures of anyone shooting a vintage sniper rifle from the prone position. I found one person to contact  that will point me in the right direction. 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 7:56pm
we have tried to get a shoot together here , never quite got it done , always a bunch of interest in shooting it but not much interest in working it , 

no shortage of folks with vintage rifles that would love to participate , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic