Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

.22 Coey Military Trainer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .22 Coey Military Trainer
    Posted: December 30 2018 at 8:50am
I'm inquiring about a .22 Coey Military Trainer rifle. I didn't even know these were a thing. Looks nice, but it has been sandblasted and the wood clear coated. Whatever that means. I'd strip furniture and hardware anyways. He wants $350. CDN. Thoughts?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 2:33pm
"Clear Kote" is the varnish/Poly lacquer used on modern cars.
The Cooey (& I like Mannlicher stocks) doesn't give me the warm fuzzies but its your rifle.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 3:19pm
Shamu. I agree. Bubba refinish on wood and sandblasted hardware. I would redo all. Price? In Canadian? I realize sight unseen.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 6:25am
I have no idea.
L-E's will go for much more, but I have no frame of reference for a Cooey, sorry.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 8:00am
Well, I'm the new proud owner of a Cooey Model 82 Military Trainer. $325. CDN. Have no idea if that's good or not. Some research looks like the can go for $450-$600 CDN, but in original condition. They were made to mimic the Lee Enfield for training purposes. Kinda cool, and like I said, had no idea they even existed.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 10:07am
After a little more research, it appears Cooey Canada made 30,000 of these. As a Canadian, I like the Cooey/Lee Enfield connection. Hope it shoots good!
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 12:33pm
Well enjoy the new one. 

Later 42rocker
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 2:18pm
Honks,

I think All Cooeys shoot well!

I have one, but someone chopped the fore-end off half way.   I need the aperture sight for mine.

Keep us posted on results.
R.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 2:56pm
Will keep you posted. Mine has regular Cooey front blade (protected by ears) and rear site. Would love to find or make a rudimentary peep as it has a flat spot and a small threaded screw at the very rear end. I have heard the chances of finding a store bought peep site are slim to none. I might check Skinner sights. I bought a rear peep site from them for my old Thompson Renegade Black powder.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 3:06pm
I don't know if this will work or not, but those SARCO "Lee Enfield Windage Adjustable sights" might be worth a look.
They are regulated for .22RF at 25, 50 & 100 yds & if you get one with the flat plate base (not all have it, specify), it would make a great rear sight. It has intermediate clicks for 1/4MOA adjustment & includes the P-H 6-hole iris.
The flat base with mounting bolts should be easy to fabricate an adapter base for given you skill level.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 6:09pm
Thanks Shamu! I will look into Sarco. That's exactly what I'm envisioning. Wonder if they ship to Canada...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 8:11am
Here it is on my Hawken .50.
You can see the range tics on the left side elevator rail & the eyepiece.
They aren't taking international orders online, but apparently they have something working because they say to call them.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 8:25am
Shamu. I checked Sarco Inc and couldnt find anything like that beauty in the picture.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 1:12pm
Maybe they're all gone?
Let me poke about & see what I can find.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 7:11pm
Thanks Shamu. After some more research, it looks like an option on this Cooey was a "wooden magazine" the dimensions of an Enfield that came with an extra long screw that could replace the flush screwsthat holds the receiver onto the stock. 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 9:43pm
the cooey trainers were quite nice rifdles very accurate and they came with ability to wear the rear receiver sight of a simulated mkIII-III* and the peep sight of the mkIV , mine wears both these days , but i suspect they did not come that way - more likely one or the other was fitted , 

they were walnut stocked in an oiled finish , at one point i had used the mounting points to fix a scope to mine , 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic