Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unmarked Savage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxalex229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unmarked Savage
    Posted: January 12 2019 at 2:40pm
So, I have been crawling around looking for information. An old family gun safe was unearthed recently from my great grandfather. Inside were a few rifles and pistols, all unmarked. I really wanted the enfield so I called dibs and forfeited claim to the others. This enfield, unlike anything on the web, has next to no markings. Not even "US Property", as you can see from the pictures it was not scrubbed either. Are there others out there like this?

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 8:48pm
i believeit to be a very nice savage no4 mkI* but i cannot confirm it with my eyes and your photos but others may see more , 

welcome to the madness , these are addicting and you started well 
mxalex229 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxalex229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 5:15am
It is not a MK1* from what I gather. It does not have the asterisk stamped, and it does have the spring loaded bolt guide release.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 5:33am
It’s got the bolt release catch and Mk 1 rear sight, I believe it is a No. 4 Mk 1.  Early production under direct contract to Britain were not marked “US Property” according to Skennerton.  

Very nice rifle you have.  

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 6:27am
[edited]
Yes its a No4 Mk1 (no *) .
Probably pre 1943 as that was when they switched to the (*) version.
It is confirmed as a Savage or a L.B. too because of the unique left side receiver profile.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 6:52am
Shamu
That is a nice pic showing the Savage difference. 

Later 42rocker
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 8:09am
The receiver has been sanded and smoothed and then blued.
Look at the charging bridge,it has been rounded over. I like it.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 8:11am
Shamu. Would you mind if I steal your thumb wheel extension on the safety lever idea?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 8:21am
Shamu. One of my Enfields has that radius cut. I didn't think it was a Savage as I've never seen anything to indicate it is. The rest have the 45 deg angle.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 8:27am
Actually, looking at it right now. It's the one I bought as a faux L42A1. Radius cut. Wrist band says "
England

Receiver is marked "No4 Mk1.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 8:55am
Goosic: Go ahead (I actually thought you already had!) Big smile
Its a thumbscrew nut from an old Weaver ring set I had. You may need to file down the front edge so it will rotate all the way to "Fire" depending on your scope mount. It just bolted through from behind with a taper-head screw. Its also the screw size that matters because the countersunk head has to be big enough to jam up against the inside face of the safety lever, but not protrude so much it scrapes against the receiver.

Honkytonk: I've only ever seen it on Savage-Made rifles! It was the one reason I couldn't use the old Cad Tecnik scope mount because the grub screws for anti-cant  don't work unless there's that small angled piece there? I don't think LB did it that way either? Might it be a scrubbed Savage receiver?

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 9:25am
I have both rifles, Savage and Long Branch.  Botj have the radiused angles.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 10:19am
Ahh thanks! Must be a "New World" thing rather than a "Savage" thing.
Beer
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Ahh thanks! Must be a "New World" thing rather than a "Savage" thing.
Beer
Apparently not Shamu.  Look at your No5. Look at mine for the time being.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 2:14pm
Well I'll be . . .
OK, never mind.
Confused
That's a rapidly increasing number of rifles (& carbines) the Cad Technik is unusable on. Cry

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 3:28pm
i believed i saw the savage S in the first photo on the receiver , i know i saw it on the backsight in the senenth , i missad the mkI bolt release in the third , nicely refinished , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic