Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P 14 Stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P 14 Stock
    Posted: January 22 2019 at 9:19am
I just bought a nice full barrel P 14 which has a sporterized (cut down) original stock.  Everything else is original, matching receiver and barrel serials, replacement bolt.

I want to restore it to full wood, but I balk (a little) at $275 US for a repro stock, which still needs quite a bit of work. I wonder if I can craft the front (lower) piece from walnut and finger-splice it into my original stock. The worst that can happen is I screw up, and then I have to buy the repro stock and fit it - but at best I can save the money - and get an original looking (patina) stock for the most part. I would have to buy the few extra fittings (foreend with bayonet fastener, original middle band, handguard) - but these are available as originals.

Has anyone else done anything like this?
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 11:01am
After many tedious (and literally bloody) hours trying to do a splice on a Martini stock I bought the  reproduction
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
dimonic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 11:27am
I see - did you use a splicing router bit? I wasn't so much concerned about the doing part - just the strength and look of the result. Most likely there is something I don't know about the doing of this that will come to bite me.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 11:46am
I've done a similar repair, albeit in a regular rifle broken stock. Drilled holes  at the end in each piece, used 1/4" redi-rod, epoxied the holes and wood internal piece, then aligned and clamped. I let it dry over night. As I was refinishing the complete stock, I removed finish, sanded (used the sanding dust, mixed with wood glue, then applied to the "crack". I let dry, sanded all, and refinished. The guy still uses it! The biggest difference with yours is trying to get a matching piece. Lots of really knowledgeable blokes on this site. They'll be able to figure it out!
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 11:46am
Hand tools including a very sharp wood chiselWink
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 12:08pm
The down fall as mentioned above is matching the patina + depending how oil soaked the wood is, could cause issues with gluing.
Just bite the bullet and buy a repo stock or keep an eye out for a decent original.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
dimonic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 12:55pm
Ah. I was going to cheat and use a fancy new-fangled finger-splice bit on my handy-dandy router. Something like this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic