Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What items were stored in the buttstock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What items were stored in the buttstock?
    Posted: January 22 2019 at 3:06pm
he!!o folks. I was just sitting here and wondered what was by regulation carried in the buttstock of a typical Enfiend AND what an average soldier actually carried in his rifle buttstock?  WWI and WWII!  Thanks!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 5:42am
Oiler & pull through
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 6:40am
Did they rattle in the butt stock or fit fairly snug?
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 7:31am
When I had my No4, I wrapped the pull through around the oiler and left a loose end to act as a pull tab for removal, never rattled.
Still have that original oiler and pull through.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 8:21am
How did that work?

The oiler is a tight fit & the pull through is too! The usual method is oiler in first resting on the leather washer at the bottom, then pull through behind with the weight in its own little tube off to the too.

Wrapped properly its a perfect fit.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 10:24am
oh, probably because the pull through I have is of thinner cord, not oem original, though the oiler is, and the hole in the butt was a little enlarged, ware-n-tear I guess.
So when inserted As i did it was a nice snug fit.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 4:35pm
they oilers were somewhat loose , the pull thru tied as shown in the video puts a little presure on it to prevent rattle - there was a felt/leather washer fitted to the end of the stick bolt , but many of these are long gone , you could make one though 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 6:13am
The leather washers are also being sold as reproductions on e-bay complete with Broad Arrow brand.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic