Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking of taking a leap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking of taking a leap
    Posted: March 20 2019 at 4:32am
There is a Lee Enfield No1 Mk3* dated 1918 for sale in thinking of perhaps purchasing. I know nothing of these rifles having never owned one. Owner says bore is good, head space checked and good, numbers matching. Wood looks a little beat up but it is 100 years old and appears to be all there. The one thing that drew me to it is as the owner says, it appears to have someone's initials carved into the bottom of the stock. They look very old. Owner has shot it. All good. He wants $725. CAD.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 5:12am
Do it!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 5:30am
PM sent.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 3:19pm
if it is actually marked "mk3*" it is indian , if its marked "mkIII*" it is british or austrailian , that would make a difference to me on pricing but others not so much , 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 11:24am
It was a MkIII. Moot point as I passed on it. He wanted $725. CAD firm. Just didn't feel right. I'll keep looking.
MarkG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 11:48am
That's not a crazy price in the current market. No1s in good condition from online retailers are going for closer to $800 when they're available (or even more if they have early features like the magazine cutoff and volley sights).

Though I do wonder if, one day, all the Boomer shooters are going to die off and a million Lee-Enfields will emerge from closets around Canada to flood the market...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 12:11pm
Hush! Thou speketh heresy!
Evil Smile
But I've been wondering the same thing for a few years now.
A lot of older collectors have family that don't give a hoot & either they, or their heirs may soon be flogging of "old yukky guns" fer cheap so they can get a new smartphone or something, Imagine how That will drive milsurp prices down a glut of cheap ones.
Censored
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 1:19pm
If you have $725Cdn with which to go shopping, keep looking, for that price you can find something decent. There are still some nice ones out there at reasonable prices, but private sales. 

Dealers charge big cos they can. Many of today's buyers only buy online with point and click of the mouse. They will pay that price, put it on the credit card, it arrives at their door. An entire collection gathered by going click, click, click.

Tell all your senior friends, and get them to pass the word along. You might be surprised what might be forgotten at the back of somebodies gun safe. You cant beat to face with a fist full of dollars for haggling and making good deals.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by englishman_ca englishman_ca wrote:

If you have $725Cdn with which to go shopping, keep looking, for that price you can find something decent. There are still some nice ones out there at reasonable prices, but private sales. 

Tell all your senior friends, and get them to pass the word along. You might be surprised what might be forgotten at the back of somebodies gun safe. You cant beat to face with a fist full of dollars for haggling and making good deals.

About 5 years ago I picked up a Ishapore Sht. LE MKIII with a new barrel for £120 and 2 years ago a Savage No.4 Mk1* for £250. I didn't go looking for them, they found me.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 1:46pm
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 2:34pm
Englishman, very sound advice! I have a small network of "Bakerstreet Irregulars" I can have keep their ears to the ground for me.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 10:24am
We'll. Having bought a No4 Lee Enfiled Sporter sight unseen off a gun post that required a lot of work to become a shooter (my bad, but I went into it with my eyes open as it was cheap), is the main reason I passed on the rifle I mention in this thread. What I did do is just finished getting off the phone with an English gentleman/son business in Canada that builds and restores Lee Enfields to "fresh issue" state. Not numbers matching, but very nice workmanship. I've placed an order for him to build me a No1 MkIII Lithgow. It'll take 5-6 weeks. Very excited!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 6:34pm
"It was a MkIII. Moot point as I passed on it"

i realise platying 'tony' here might seem a bit trivial , but there are way too many reading here hoping to learn , we need to give good info , 

too many are not getting good info and it leads to a lack of appreciation of these rifles that are too quickly being lost to history , im old , i no longer seek to collect as i once did , but i want those that do to get the very best from this site , 
JUST SAYIN , 

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 4:41am
A Square. I meant no disrespect. I meant wether it was a Mk3 or a MkIII became irrelevant as I passed on the deal for other reasons. Sorry for any confusion. And thank you. I did not no those 3's and III's were specific to a country.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 5:40am
H-Tonk,

Is the father /son team in Sask?

There is a bloke out that way that does V good work. he seems to know his onions.

I'm scared stiff of all the "newbies" who think they can stick wood on an old sporter and treble the price!

I want Nothing to do with most of them!

I have a 1923 Lithgow, FTR'd and new barrel in '53.  Been thinking of selling but it's tight and right and don't know if I could find another if I wanted one. It's not that I don't Like it, I just do not get time to shoot much, and think it's best to spend time with only one or two rifles, rather than trying something different every time out!...never get to know Any of them.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 6:11am
Yes, he is. I purchased a L39A1 clone from him last year. Top notch rifle! I phoned him yesterday and he said he had parts to build 65 No1's. He rec commended I go for the Lithgow. As I know only enough about these rifles to prove I know nothing about these rifles, I agreed. He garanteed it would be built to "as issued" specs. He also mentioned these rifles are far more difficult to build than No4's, but didn't elaborate. Nice chap. As I have one of his rifles, I trust him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic