Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Price/value

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Price/value
    Posted: March 23 2019 at 1:47pm
Originally, in British Stores, there would have been a matching bolt to each carbine. However, a lot happened to them and they had quite the tour going to and from Ireland, sold out of service, shipped overseas to north america and traded through several dealers. The bolts got mixed and nobody gave a thought to rematching, which would probably have been an impossible task.

Missmatched bolt is the norm, very few have matching bolts. Mixed, not so much at conversion but from being stored and shipped separately in crates.

If the carbine does have a matching bolt, there is usually some history and provenence that comes with it. It came from a different source and channels than the surplus ones through the usual dealers. 
See if it has commercial Birmingham Proof House markings or not.

Yup, sounds good. $750 if it checked out OK. It is right in the ballpark. 

Bayonet is worth grabbing with it too. There are still lots around, but the nice ones with scabbard are getting harder to find and going for top buck.

Negotiate a deal with them combined. Bayo and scabbard could be worth between one and two hundred dollars. There is sling? Maybe he has some ammo that he will no longer need also?

I think that you will do ok on this one. Bon chance!
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 11:56am
Yes thank you.
Ontario? Owen Sound

Heard back from the seller, only miss match is the bolt, it is a Calvary carbine bolt, with the 6 round mag. He told me its been in the family for yrs never knacker with, good bore??, every thing all matching except bolt, is it likely the bolt was changed during the armory conversion? I`ve read this was possible.
Any way the asking price is $750, the sling is repo, the bayonet is extra.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 10:27am
Ontario?

I have seen exceptional nice ones trade hands for around $1500. 

Run of the mill with front hand guard and miss-matched bolt can be found for around $800. 

Beaters? If they dont have a bright bore in the barrel, i wont touch them unless they have the six rounder mag and carbine bolt, then they are parts guns. Most that I find have dark bores from corrosive ammo and lack of cleaning. 

I sold a restored one with spliced fore end a little while ago for around $650. The barrelled action was given to me to salvage. The carbine was within specs and looked nice, it functioned well, but it was totally assembled from parts. Zero collector interest to me other than to fill a hole in the collection until a better one came along.

These are conversions of cavalry carbines that have been in civilian owners' hands for 60 years and can be a bit of a mix match of parts, some rifle, some carbine, different makers. 
If 100% 'correct' (if there is such a thing), everything will be marked EFD.

RIC is the most common LEC in Canada, a bunch of them were imported in the 1950/60s. Most that I find ended up with the fore wood cut back to make a deer rifle. Consequently ones with full wood are hard to find. With cut wood, they are similar in price to sportered rifles.

A decent P1888 bayonet would be worth 100 bucks any day. The scabbards are even harder to find and on the loose are worth another $100 .

does that help?
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 6:36am
Looking at an LEC 1, 1898, RIC medallion, R M Enfield Round stamped butt stock cartouche(with crown between R and M)
All matching except bolt(common for these?), stock is full complete in fair condition, metal work good, no major corrosion as seen above wood, probably 60% original condition, E knox stamped barrel bore good to very good. Includes sling; and matching 1888 bayo for a bit extra over rifle price.
So as I can tell it has all the usual stamps, sold out of service, conversion etc.
Q. what would a fair price for this rifle be in todays market, high and low so I can get an idea on how much I might be able to beat up the seller on price.
Cheers

Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic