Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No1 MkIII

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No1 MkIII
    Posted: March 24 2019 at 5:02am
As I've never owned a No1 MkIII or even shot one, for that matter, would I be correct in assuming a mild powder load and 180 gr projectile would be a good place to start?
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2019 at 5:38am
My No1MkIII* prefer's a milder load than my No4's. Probably due to the thinner barrel. The last time I chrono'd my loads for that rifle I was around 2380 ft per second. That was with 180 grain SB bullets and using Vectan SP7 at 38.6 grains. The No4 uses 39.4 grains of SP7 and currently 174 grain SMK's.
I need to get more time for testing some load variations for both No1 and No4 rifles; as I'm not sure that this is the best we can get.  The Vectan Tubal 5000 powder was similar performance.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2019 at 6:21am
When I bring my rifles out to my little range behind my garage for a shooting session, I can easily shoot off a couple hundred rounds at a time. That can be an expensive afternoon if I used commercial ammunition.
I checked the other day at the local hardware store, they have Winchester ammo for $39.95 for a box of 20. Yikes!!

So, for a plinking load (almost all my shooting is for plinking fun theses days) , I use 7.62 x 39 Russian or Chinese ammo, pull the bullet and use it and the powder load as is.

Other than a new primer, the cost is kept down to that of purchasing a crate of surplus ammo.

The military surplus cartridges appear to have some form of sealing compound on the bullet that effectively glues them solid into the mouth of the case, to keep out moisture I guess. To be able to use my inertia hammer, the bullets need to be shoved down into the case with a seating die just a touch to break that seal.

And yes, I know, the 7.62 bullet is undersized (.310). However, for the shooting that I do, all under 100 yards, they seem to be accurate enough for my 'minute of pie plate' shooting.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2019 at 7:17am
A good condition No1 MkIII should take the exact same ammo as a No4, they were both designed for the same 174 Gr Mk VII ammo!
BUT, being a little older you might want to back off 100 FPS or so.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2019 at 7:28am
I'm thinking 180 gr projectiles, 37 gr of H4895. The low end of that powder for that Calibre. Roughly 2200 ft/sec according to my manual.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2019 at 10:33am
Sounds nice.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2019 at 11:01am
My Ishapore MKIII uses the same loads as my Savage No.4 MK1*. Home loads 174 gn. over 41 grns Vithavori N140.

Over the last 3 years it has twice won my Clubs 'Rememberance Day' Competition with members using it for the first time.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic