Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great day!
    Posted: April 06 2019 at 11:07am
For 30 years my go-to deer rifle has been a No4 M1(FTR 47) Sporter that I put in a walnut Bishop stock at that time. Always shot 150 gr pills out of it. Ever since I put the new furniture on back then, I never "bonded" with the hard shiny finish, but, it was and is such a good shooter, was scared to touch it. Today, while cleaning up the Man-Cave from a day of reloading, I found an old, intact bottle of Birchwood Casey compound. I decided to give it a go. OMG! The walnut looks like it aged, darkened, and mellowed about 50 years! Love it! 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2019 at 11:50am
NICE!!! Pics please!!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2019 at 3:55pm
Great day turned into horror day!! After the furniture was looking great, I decided to look at the scope mount. Remember, I had this rifle for 30 years. When I put the Bishop stock on, I had a local gunsmith install a scope mount. Back then it was old school. Thin Weaver mount, D &T'ed  with three screws, tip off rings.Typical for the times. I've tried (was successful) once before to remove one of these mounts. So, I could barely loosen two of the three machine screws. Probably 200# torque? I thought maybe the guy had used red Locktite so I preheated the machine screws. The most forward machine screw would not budge! Ended up hacksawing the mount over this screw. Aluminum mount gave way before that last screw. Luckily, there was a nib left and I could get a small vise grip on it. Back and forth. Got it! Filled the three holes with some blank machine screws. It's ready for another Addley mount.Remind me again? Why do we own these beasts? 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2019 at 5:48pm
You DO live on the prairie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2019 at 4:56am
Funny thing, Hoadie. I'm not sure about the rest of Canada, but here on the prairies back in the 70's and 80's that's how gunsmiths installed scopes on Lee Enfields. Not only had this guy used some kind of epoxy on the screws (it was white) he epoxied under the front part of the mount to the receiver! I'm still not sure how I got the darn thing off!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2019 at 5:25am
It’s surprising how interests change.  In the 60’s and 70’s, these rifles were practically given away, prices were much less than a new sporter at the time. 

I personally think the LE rifle looks much better in its origional form.  That’s just me, I certainly mean no offense to those who have sporterized their rifle.  But I also applaud those who want to resore them to the original configuration. 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2019 at 5:37am
I believe the best looking Lee Enfield is the No4 Sniper (or clone.) In my opinion, and I'm sure it wasn't designed to do so, the lines are functional yet elegant. Beautiful! But I do admit a nice Sporter with a Monte Carlo walnut stock and optics is hard to beat for hunting. And it keeps this Calibre in the woods! Something not many other brands can brag about for length of service!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2019 at 6:09am
Must be nice to hunt on the prairie..where the ground is so flat you can see the mtns of Alberta!
Bush is too thick here to use a scope...when the deer gets to movin' - puts a whole new meaning to the term "Fast Food"...try following that thru a scope in the bush Become one huge blur..& the guy on the next property gets a deer cuz he had open sights!
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2019 at 6:21am
H-Tonk,
For a sporter, I don't think you can beat a Lee Speed type. No Monty-Carlos for me!  :-)
A straight stock won't try and bight you, and just looks right.

I've found, that the better a rifle shoots, the more beautiful it becomes!  :-)

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2019 at 8:23am
Pukka. I'm not real familiar with Lee Speed Enfields. Is that the same type as Val Kilmer used in that maneater lion movie? Are they even available in Canada? I'm now interested! Thanks! Just what I needed with a No1 MkIII being built for me!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2019 at 8:39am
And yes, Hoadie, for your information, Manitoba does have trees, thank you very much! In fact, just this past fall hunt when me and buddy were driving to our regular site, we saw two! They were beauties! Good spot for a deer stand! Although here in Manitoba, we call deer stands truck seats!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2019 at 11:14am
..I swear..if you drive thru northern Ontario & come to the Manitoba border..it flattens out INSTANTLY!! & you can see all the way to Alberta!! I dunno what you folks in Manitoba are gonna do when B.C & Alta separate from Canada.( Sask might have "seaside property!! )
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2019 at 3:18pm
I'm really hoping they ask us to join them and let Ontario and Quebec deal with Trudeau! Not a fan...
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2019 at 5:36pm
Being a BC resident, I would welcome Alberta and the prairie provinces and territories/Yukon into a western confederation, with open arms and ready to do business. Move grain and oil products to markets with pipelines and rail lines, trucking, etc. The west is being shunned by the current regime in Ottawa. This thread has veered off topic though.....
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 6:58am
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 7:08am
Unfortunately, I don't subscribe to Gunutz so I can't view. Something about that site has always rubbed me the wrong way. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic