Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P-14/17 project update Pt 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P-14/17 project update Pt 2
    Posted: April 26 2019 at 5:52pm
I received the stock today. It is a complete drop in stock with no modifications.  I mocked it up so you can see the results so far. 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 6:35pm
Goosic. I like it! I can't remember. Is this one a 30/06?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 6:42pm
It is now. I started with the P14 Eddystone receiver that was complete with the bolt. I found a P17 Eddystone stamped 30-06 two groove barrel next and found the stock last. This is all in mock up stage right now until I get the scope mount installed  and a new firing pin.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 7:12pm
Well. Then my advise to you, seeing that you only have one round of 30/06 in your arsenal, is to choose your target wisely!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 7:18pm
My Ace Hardware store sells bullets.  I'll get a box next week 
yumastepside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 5:03pm
Excuse my confusion, but is it a P14 or M17?
Does it have a square mag box or an angled one?

Roger
roger
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 5:18pm
yumastepside.
The receiver is in fact an Eddystone P-14. The barrel is an original  P-17 30-06. The receiver,trigger guard, magazine, spring,follower, and complete bolt assembly is P-14,set up for the .303. Kinda why I am referring to it as a P14/17.
yumastepside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 6:15pm
OK, please bear with me as I'm not trying to be smart or rude but if it has a P14 ( pattern 14 ) bolt and not an M17 ( model of 1917 ) it should not hold a 30-06 round as the bolt face is 303 or magnum sized ( both will fit ).
Are you going to re-cut the chamber to a larger case size?
My P14 has a 9.3x74R barrel fitted and the case fits the bolt without modification ( about the only thing I didn't have to modify to make it work! ) as its the same diameter as the 303 and 405W.

Roger
roger
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 6:32pm
The barrel is not original to this receiver.  It is chambered for the 30-06 cartridge.  The bolt is the original bolt to the P14 receiver.  I followed specific guidelines by a gunsmith friend of mine knowledgeable in rifle such as this and reworked the bolt face area so it would and will mate with the forcing cone area of the P17 barrel and it holds,cycles,and extracts the 30-06 rounds just fine. I fired it today and cycled just three rounds through it. No issues.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 6:58pm
Roger,please do not think I am being a smart @55,for I am not.
I do not know what to say here beyond what I know. Everything  fits and functions as it should. I started with  a box of parts that made up the receiver.  I found a 30-06 barrel that screwed onto the receiver and I started the process of mating the bolt to the forcing cone of the barrel. The 30-06 rounds chamber and extract flawlessly.  The barrelled receiver  dropped right into the stock with no modifications at all.  The headspace is where it needs to be and it all works,no more,no less...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic