Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Club Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

Goosic I am interested in the pressure figures you mention. Are these taken from load tables?
My information came from a 1968 Norma reloading manual.  The pressures were taken from their in house crusher gun with a 1-10" twist. Lyman had a similar example as well. A Lake City  article from 1982 showed their chronographed LR,"long range" round with a FPS of 2486 and CUP of 44,200. 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Zed<br><br>What is the chamber spec of the Canadian 7.62 rifles, seeing as they are built as target rifles? The L39 apparently has a tighter chamber than the standard military NATO spec', or so I've been lead to believe! Maybe someone more knowledgeable could confirm that!<br><br><br>[/QUOTE Zed

What is the chamber spec of the Canadian 7.62 rifles, seeing as they are built as target rifles? The L39 apparently has a tighter chamber than the standard military NATO spec', or so I've been lead to believe! Maybe someone more knowledgeable could confirm that!

[/QUOTE wrote:

Zed, I’ve got two of these CA 7.62 barrels, I should be able to provide some indication of the chamber dimensions by comparing fired brass with NATO cartridges, and also with published maximum .308 case dimensions.  I’ve also got a case headspace gage that I wi

Zed, I’ve got two of these CA 7.62 barrels, I should be able to provide some indication of the chamber dimensions by comparing fired brass with NATO cartridges, and also with published maximum .308 case dimensions.  I’ve also got a case headspace gage that I will check fired cases with.   The best way would be to make a chamber cast and then measure.  

The chambers are certainly not “large” such as found in MGs, but not likely “match” tight chambers either.  I have F/L sized .308 brass fired from another rifle with regular .308 dies and the cases chambered fine in both my 7.62 barreled No. 4s.

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:39pm
Thanks for the replies guys. I am hoping to get some time to refine my loads on the L39A1. I have some GGG 7.62NATO surplus Lithuanian ammo to test against. I will chrono it and compare to my loads.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 1:11pm
I’m not familiar with the L39, does it have the heavy 4 lb barrel or it is it a standard No. 4 service weight barrel (2 lbs)?

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 1:37pm
The L39A1 has the hammer forged heavy barrel and is similar to the L42A1 sniper rifle. The advantage of the L39 is that it costs about less than a quarter of the price of the sniper rifle. They were built on No4Mk2's so have the hung trigger; where as the L42's were modified from No4 Mk1T Sniper rifles.

Seen here with the No8 .22 and No1MkIII*
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
FrozenND View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrozenND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 7:00pm
Very interesting info from all. I have both LC M118 and Fed Match 168 to try, but based on everyone has written that I better hand load some ammo. Its going to be Memorial Weekend before I can try it out. Thinking on 40.5 of varget and a 168MK.
NJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic