Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No1 Mk111 Lithgow update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 6:41am
Polished or not, the brass inner barrel band would be hidden under the wood.

Correct on the Ozzies using brass. I believe that some of the lower sling swivel brackets were also cast brass blackened. I have seen a brass lower outer band too.

This was a WWII expedient? Not sure why or what the story is, but some contractors were capable of casting brass, steel being more difficult?
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 6:53am
Pics of the build.

The "inner band can't be seen its under the wood, look back at the schematic I posted earlier, its the bit the spring & bolt connects to under the noseacp.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 7:55am
Sorry. Meant the mid band that holds the top/bottom wood.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 7:56am
... where the front sling swivel is.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 4:11pm
No problem. Its a bit "Bling" for me but it goes with the hi gloss varnish.  As it's a target rifle I've seen stranger things done, believe me.
Heck I've done some of them.Censored
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 10:46am
The rifle is done! No1 Mk111 Lithgow. Stuart is sending it out today so maybe by the end of the week! I'm real curious to see how it shoots, or better still, how I shoot through that 100 year old peep site!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 11:45am
Excellent news; look forward to seeing the rifle and the results!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 12:58pm
Here it is, I think I'm supposed to be posting this here for him.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 1:17pm
Thanks once again, Shamu. The fellow holding the rifle is the son and mentor of the gentleman who built the rifle. He said the rifles furniture is a closer match in real light. Apparently the butt stock, bolt and receiver are matching numbers and I suspect the rest of the wood was chosen out of his inventory. I'll see if I like the "bling" look. As far as pictures show, it's a screw on the nose, the mid sling swivel band, the ID disk and the inletted butt end sling swivel. We shall see...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 2:01pm
Any time, glad to help.
I sent you an e mail on this.
Wink

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 11:33am
I have asked Shamu, once again, to post some pictures of my Lithgow "brass bling" ( courtesy of my daughters new fancy phone/camera.) The gentleman who built the rifle said it was a thing some shooters did at the range years ago. I have know idea if true or even if I like it yet. Perhaps our ANZAC members can confirm? Thanks!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 3:47pm
Just found them now. Give me a few minutes to post them.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 4:02pm
Not quite sure what happened some arrived inverted, so I put them right side up, then they somehow re inverted???

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 4:03pm

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 4:04pm
#3 it changed the order too!

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 4:05pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic