Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No1 Mk111 Lithgow update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 9:09pm
Do you think he meant shims, H-T??
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 4:57am
I don't think so. He said cause the peep site itself has some brass on it that would look nice with his "bits and pieces." I'm sure he means screws...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 7:38am
There's also "Brass" on the sight?
That's odd.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 8:09am
Shamu. I'll write what he sent me via email. "Actually 5A specifically for No1 Mk3. I only have one!! and mostly brass fittings unique to a very few Lithgow's." So. That's all I know. Not being familiar with No1's or PH sites, I'm relying on more knowledgeable members. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 8:51am
Oh It's "Rare" alright!
Dead
In 50+ years of shooting much of it with Parker-Hale stuff, its the first time I've ever heard of such a thing. My best guess is he used some brass electrical fitting screws because many of them are still the old "BA" thread!
It would have that "Steampunk" look though, wouldn't it?
I started playing with Photoshop I'm so bored! At first it was just a gag, then it began to grow on me . . .
Whirrrrrr
Whirrrrr
whirrrrr
That's the sound of purists spinning in their graves.
Approve

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 10:42am
That's why I rely on advise and knowledge from this forums collective experiences with Lee Enfields!
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

Shamu. I'll write what he sent me via email. "Actually 5A specifically for No1 Mk3. I only have one!! and mostly brass fittings unique to a very few Lithgow's." So. That's all I know. Not being familiar with No1's or PH sites, I'm relying on more knowledgeable members. 

My No1 Mk3 has 'brass' on the PH5A sight.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 11:32am
Its a possibility! Not sure its "Mostly Brass fittings" though? Whats the brass on the rifle he refers to? "he's gonna add some brass bits on the nose, trigger guard, etc."
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 11:45am
I can only guess it's a brass screw on the trigger guard where the site attaches. Maybe one on the nose cap and mid barrel band? He is a Brit and seems pretty knowledgeable. I'm just along for the ride!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 12:28pm
The guy seems legit. I think he's a Brit. Funny accent, drinks Typhoo tea, calls me mate and says Cheers! a lot... Pretty much solid evidence right there!
Moondog55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moondog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 4:29pm
I have a Lithgow Mk1 #3* here and it happens to have armourers pins through it in several places as the Coachwood stocks are prone to splitting, when I was shooting on the range I saw many with the added brass pins.
I'd post pictures but my longarms are in secure storage off-site while we build a new garage. They are tiny
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

The guy seems legit. I think he's a Brit. Funny accent, drinks Typhoo tea, calls me mate and says Cheers! a lot... Pretty much solid evidence right there!

ConfusedBig smile
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 4:16am
HT, if you want clarification, ask him what he's on about! Maybe ask for photos of the bit's too.
The only stupid question's are the ones you don't ask!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 4:52am
I wonder if these "brass do-dads" aren't manufactured aftermarket stuff?
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 10:26pm
I finally got some pictures of the rifle the gentleman in Saskatchewan is building me. The brass "bits" seem to be a screw on the nose cap and the middle barrel band. He says he just has to build and fit the bolt and finish a few other small details and should be ready next week!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 4:51am
"the truth is out there..." To coin a phrase from one of my favourite TV series. I've been doing some research in regards to the "brass band." I think I may be getting close. Please correct me at any time. What I've found is it appears exclusive to Australian No1 Lee Enfields. They were blackened for service. Not all were brass, most were steel. The brass  ones utilized prior to WW2? (Not 100% sure on that point.) So. As Stuart mentioned to me that since I requested the P-H site, he would add the "brass bits" to replicate a "target rifle". I now figure that means P-H peep sites weren't used in service and perhaps the competitors using these Lithgow's polished the black off the "brass bits" to pimp out their rifles at the shoots? I may be way, way off, but the research has been fun. Hopefully some other members can fill in the blanks. Thanks! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic