Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No1 MkIII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No1 MkIII
    Posted: September 02 2019 at 7:37am
he!!o. During deer season, we always have an "open site" day where you are only allowed a non scoped rifle. Does any member here ever use a No1 Mk3 for hunting? Thanks!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 8:14am
I do..(I cant use a scope worth a darn)

1916 BSA
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 8:55am
Hopefully mine is done by then! It always amazes me that the young men of the United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries had the stamina to lug those beasts across the desert, in the jungles and half way across Europe. They must have been some tough blokes!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 12:09pm
But you know it's going to work when you get there!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 7:44pm
there are quite a few that do , those with younger eyes than i , they take deer quite handily when well applied , have at it , good luck , enjoy................
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 6:02am
I have shot more deer with my 1917 BSA No 1 Mk III* than with any other rifle.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 6:20am
I think it would be cool to harvest a deer with a 100 year old rifle.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 6:44am
I have used nothing else for a few years, other than my old cut -down Ishapore No 1 Mk 111.
Open sights of course, and V accurate.   Got coyotes, deer and elk with it. Quite a few elk over the years.
Last year I took out the No 4 Mk 1 Maltby and got my whitetail . No bothers.

For years I used a homemade flintlock, and always seemed to bring home then bacon.

I had a 7x57 Mauser with scope. Tack driver, but my son has that one now.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 7:37am
Its a question of what you were trained with & used to.
Every time I build & accessorize a rifle it ends up at really close to 11 1/2 Lbs! I don't aim for that weight & usually don't weigh them until its "done" which sometimes takes a while as I find parts.
It just "feels right".
I'm not a big guy & I don't work out or anything but I took my No4 Mk2 with the scope to Arkansas & hauled it all over the area. I also carried my camera bag which is probably another 6~7Lbs! I felt fine even though it's pretty rugged country & I'm 67. Its not really a question of strength or endurance its more mental IMO.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 7:58am
Agree, Shamu. Lots of people are strong... not so many tough. Toughness truly is a state of mind. I do think you can train yourself to be tough. Last year I shot a nice little buck. He was 1/4 mile from the road and a 1/4 from the truck in the other direction. I rigged up a rope, slung my rifle and kit bag over my shoulder and told my buddy to go get the truck and I'd meet him on the road. I won't lie, I worked up a good lather during that drag, but I beat him to the road! 
Witwillem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 12:32am
Hi guys,
I was privileged this year to hunt with my no1 mk3 smle 1919 . 
The rifle was my grandfather's and my dad inherited it, passing it on to me eventually . I have a Nicon scope on my rifle (ATI scope rail). Next year I will definitely try the open site option . 
Witwillem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 7:50pm
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 10:01pm
Very nice pictures, Witwillem! What distance were you at bagging those critters and what were you using for ammo? Since we also love the rifles, why not start a new thread detailing that beautiful No 1. We love to drool over each others rifles Wink
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 3:47am
Is it me..or does the wood on the rifle look different in each photo?
Loose wimmen tightened here
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 4:24am
Looks like the top photo is taken late in the day and the lower one probably close to midday; so difference in light conditions probably causing the colour to appear different.
Nice rifle!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Witwillem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 9:29am
The first buck I shot was the Impala ram @ about 90 yards, early morning.(8am)
The second one is a Red hartebeast cow @ 120 yards, two hours later. (10am)
Ammo - 168gr Peregrine  Bush Master
This is a local South African brand monolithic bullets. Will attach some pictures.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic