Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What 303 is this.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What 303 is this.
    Posted: September 02 2019 at 8:46am
please help identify thanks
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 9:19am
A fake!

Made over in the sand box by a master gun maker from scrap iron.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 10:13am
Those stampings do look like the work of Mustaf in the Khyber Pass  even Maltby markings are clearer
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 10:21am
Originally posted by SW28fan SW28fan wrote:

Those stampings do look like the work of Mustaf in the Khyber Pass  even Maltby marking are clearer

Made by Hoadie  in his weehoose out back.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 11:02am
Show us the rest of the receiver with any other stampings please. 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 7:38pm
Khyber pass  rifle - you can do as you please but - it will one day become a collectible bit for we enfield folks [the ones who have everything and are looking for the oddities] because of that i would not destroy or trash it , 

as A RIFLE  it is junk , do not try to build anything - it was hand made with crude tooling and will not be safe , JM2CW 
MarkG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

Khyber pass  rifle - you can do as you please but - it will one day become a collectible bit for we enfield folks

Yeah, I'd kind of like a Khyber Pass rifle because it would be an interesting piece of history. I wouldn't shoot it, though.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 6:12am
Whoa, whoa, whoa, everyone. Don't assume like that. You are all making assumptions on how the markings look. Have any of you looked closely at Maltby markings? They look like a drunk monkey applied them and I have seen legitimate Maltby marks that looked worse than this. Just because the markings are rough means nothing. We are not seeing enough pictures to determine anything at this point. I see a "47" at the top of the wrist. That typically means BSA. Next, it has what appears to be the early "England" import stamp on the wrist. The serial number is wonky but most of us have seen these old No 4's re-serialed. In a nutshe!!, there isn't enough information yet. So lets not damn the poor thing until we know more.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 6:49am
Agreed, Bear.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 7:33am
Originally posted by paddyofurniture paddyofurniture wrote:

Those stampings do look like the work of Mustaf in the Khyber PassĀ  even Maltby marking are clearer

Made by HoadieĀ  in his weehoose out back.

OK, Paddy...just for that - I'm sending my buddy "Dorian" over to see you. He's gonna huff & puff and BLOW yer house down!
Loose wimmen tightened here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 7:59am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Originally posted by paddyofurniture paddyofurniture wrote:

Those stampings do look like the work of Mustaf in the Khyber Pass  even Maltby marking are clearer

Made by Hoadie  in his weehoose out back.

OK, Paddy...just for that - I'm sending my buddy "Dorian" over to see you. He's gonna huff & puff and BLOW yer house down!

Thanks Hoadie!

I fart in your general direction for that.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 12:09pm
Are ther No4 type Khyber pass rifles in existance? I assumed they were No1MkIII or early types.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 1:03pm
They are out there. The ones most commonly seen here in the US were imported by Tennessee Guns so that helps to spot them.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 7:10pm
OK bear - those marks look typical kyber pass to me - combination of mfgr markings overlayed and none make much sense but if you see something im missing i am willing to listen more , 
Zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 7:20pm
thanks guys I will post more pics so you all can see it. 
Zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 7:27pm
I am going to half to try and get more pics the resolution is to high wont let me up load them. Their are markings all over the rifle. Letter T crowns Bnp stamp. Just no weight in tons stamp that I can see but I will post more pics tomorrow. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic