Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member/owner with questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member/owner with questions
    Posted: September 02 2019 at 7:37pm
he!!o everyone. I've inherited a few guns recently, one of which is this British 303 that I'm looking to learn more about. Can anyone here take a look and give me their thoughts on what they see? Model? Date of manufacture? Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!
Paul
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 7:38am
It is a Lee Enfield, model : "Rifle No4 Mk1"

Manufactured (probably) 1943 / 44

Manufactured in the UK by BSA

Does the serial number on the rear of the bolt handle match that on the butt-socket ?
pkocke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 5:56pm
Thank you for the response. I've looked all over and I don't see markings on the bolt handle. Do you have any websites you can refer me to for gun history?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 9:55pm
i thought i had posted the same response last evening - nice to know someone saw it the same as i did , there are many questions to be answered but based on what we can see here that is all we might offer i think , 

it has a war expedient flip rear peep site , could have been changed but we dont know that at this point , BSA had multiple contracts and we might give more if we could see the serial number better or had the back of the bolt handle number , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by pkocke pkocke wrote:

Thank you for the response. I've looked all over and I don't see markings on the bolt handle. Do you have any websites you can refer me to for gun history?

If there is no matching serial number on the bolt handle then it is mismatched.

You should ensure that BOTH locking lugs make 100% contact. Each rifle has to have the bolt CORRECTLY fitted (fitted as in needing work done to it, not just 'slid into place')

It is not a difficult procedure to check, but becomes a bit more complicated it there is not full engagement.

During use a rifle bolt, due to recoil, will impact back onto the locking lugs and will start to distort & wear thru the heat treatment, after a few rounds the bolt lugs and the action lugs become a 'perfect pair'. Sliding in a new bolt, or a bolt from a different rifle means that the lugs are no longer 'paired.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 6:51am
A small correction if I may.
100% is NOT the goal. Its also damn near impossible.
Equal contact on both is the goal.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
pkocke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 7:58pm
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I've attached pictures of the back of the bolt handle, which sounds like it is a mismatch. I always thought the model number was M194. The pictures show all of the gun markings.    My next question is how do I assure the locking lugs have equal contact?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 10:21pm

My next question is how do I assure the locking lugs have equal contact?

Remove bolt
Add 'Engineers blue' to the bolt lugs
Reassemble bolt into rifle
Cycle bolt
Remove bolt (gently)
Inspect bolt.

Wherever there is 'engineers blue' there is no contact between the bolt lugs and the action lugs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stuart-Engineers-Micrometer-Blue-Marking-38-gram-Tin-FROM-CHRONOS/371553549413?epid=1888958634&hash=item5682513c65:g:YEAAAOSwJ59Z1R82

Your 'local' ebay, Amazon or Engineering store should have it readily available.

If you 'come back' with the results, we can advise on the next stage (if needed)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 6:57am
You can also use a "sharpie" to add ink the the lugs if you cant get Blue.

The bolts definitely been ground both the serial number & the proof mark are gone.
Confused

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 6:58am
I use a big fat industrial black magic marker in place of engineers' blue, it shows up the contact points like a charm.

I don't get hung up on the 'even' bearing. The very configuration of the two lugs is quite different. The small lug does the camming for initial extraction on opening. Their cam tracks are not the same.

As long as i get contact on both lugs I am happy. 'Good contact' being the judgement call.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 6:59am
Great idea Shamu. You beat me to it by 43 seconds!
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 7:02am
Great minds . . .
Star
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 7:47am
Hmmm?

Early cocking piece knob on the replaced bolt.

Welcome aboard.

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
pkocke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 10:37am
Thanks again! I held a flashlight to the bolt handle and there is a serial number: 85L6655>. I don't know if this helps any. I'll try the sharpie method and let you know
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 4:16pm
Don't forget to pull back on the bolt handle while doing it, it simulates a loaded round's resistance.
Wink

https://pics.me.me/halt-or-i-shall-simulate-gunfire-meanwhile-in-england-lol-6881769.png
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 5:03pm

Thanks again! I held a flashlight to the bolt handle and there is a serial number: 85L6655>. I don't know if this helps any. I'll try the sharpie method and let you know
The L in the serial number is indicative of it being made at the Canadian  Long Branch facility...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic