Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Challenge Accepted!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 9:51am
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Originally posted by The Armourer The Armourer wrote:

How about a Charger full of 303, penetrated by a 7.92 ?

The original is in a WW1 period book in a French Museum.

I like reading about or listening to the tells of how stuff like that happened. 

It is amazing some of the stories - but considering the millions of rounds fired there had to be some 'lucky' soldiers around (on both sides)

There was a lot of speculation that it was a 'set-up' job until someone remembered they had seen the photo in a book in a museum in France - the book was dated within the WW1 period - of course it could have been 'set up' at the time.

Peter Laidler has commented on a rifle in the Warminster small arms museum, this has a 303 bullet half way up the barrel, and a Mauser bullet half way down the barrel - talk about timing !!
An inch up / down / left / right and it would have been a 'head shot'.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 10:07am
I think there's an M1 carbine at Aberdeen with a similar thing a bullet wedged in the muzzle blocked by another one exiting.
Its true though if you fire enough rounds once in a while something happens.
I once shot a horsefly, at 1000 yds, over the X ring, with an iron-sighted Ruger 10-22!
I had that target with a piece of packing taps holding the bits down for years till it disintegrated.
We went to paste targets & I saw it & remarked, the others there were laughing about it till I nonchalantly said:
"Yeah, it was driving me crazy buzzing back & forth, the hardest part was the timing"!
Evil Smile

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 10:13am
My dad would take my Crossman 760 Power Master pellet rifle and shoot at match sticks. Without shooting the the tip off,he would light the matches...
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 11:57am
I have a copy of the French Newspaper that has that photo in it. The "la Mirroir". The newspapers were leather bound into volumes. There are some interesting articles and photos. I have also seen a photo of the same clip with English wording; so the image was obviously shared.
I expect the bullet was fired from long range and near the end of it's useful flight; a Mauser bullet will normally go through 10mm of steel at close range.

I have only ever had one great shot like that of Goosic. But at 50 metres. A friend showed me a .45 round that he had crushed slightly while reloading. So we decided to put it in the centre of a C50 target with primer facing out. I shot 5 sighting rounds into a second target with the CZ455 .22 toped with a Tasco scope. Then got him to use the spotting scope to watch the .45 bullet. The first attempt must have hit the primer because it blew the bullet apart and left a shredded hole in the target. My friend was impressed; but I knew it was a very lucky shot. But a wise man knows when to stop!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 12:24pm
I have a French Lebel bayonet and standard with matching numbers that show a bullet strike.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 1:02pm

This is the photo from the French Newspaper. Can't remember the date as the volumes are not handy at the moment.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 8:27pm
oh - there you go , new challenge to be sure , alignment will be everything me thinks , 
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

This is the photo from the French Newspaper. Can't remember the date as the volumes are not handy at the moment.

If you do get the chance to look at the newspaper dates I'd be very grateful so I can add the info to the 'library' and save it with the pictures.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 3:51am
Anyone else notice that the 5th bullet has been lost from the clip!
Probably nudged out by the bullet.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 6:30am
I was thinking that myself...
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 7:01pm
nudged out with a fair dent i recon , 
Sidneyw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sidneyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

I was given a free ten day shooting pass at the range today. 
The range master was watching me and my daughter consistently grouping ten shots inside the red circle on my targets at 100 yards with the Faux 1943 No4MkI* T rifle. I had one round with a dead primer that never fired. The range master had me walk the round out to the target and told me that if I could hit the cartridge with the first shot,he would give me a ten day shooting pass for free. Five certified range masters and my daughter watched the cartridge fall off the target frame after my shot was fired. After the cease fire was called and everyone was cleared,we walked out to the target. There was the cartridge with a hole in it. The target pictured has ten holes in it,shot at a distance of 100 yards. I am extremely satisfied that this rifle is as accurate as it is...

Wow, well done.

I met a guy in late 70's at Fox Valley range in Illinois did the same using his M1 Garand; but it took him 2 shots.

Sidney
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 7:19pm
ive known a couple trick shot folks in my life , tom knapp was a friend from our range that i was pleased to say i shot with a trap league with but he had a talent that i could not imagine ever being able to come close to in my best of days , 

i would say you have that , i think you should enjoy it , if possible instill that in your daughter if she has the aptitude , very few have those abilities , one must exploit what god gave you in life , most of us got something else 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic